Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Post-Op

Yesterday morning I underwent oral surgery. I had not three, but four gum grafts done. I went to the periodontist not knowing what in the world to expect. I was thinking they might knock me out but they didn't. It was as if I was getting a filling. I got the anesthetic to numb the entire upper part of my mouth by my gums. Fortunately Dr. Blizzard swabbed me with a topical numbing gel first so I wouldn't feel the needle going in. But then she had to numb the areas behind my upper teeth because that's where she anchors the gum grafts. I wasn't numb for those injections, but they only stung for a few seconds.

After that, I just closed my eyes and didn't want to know what she was doing. Ignorance is bliss, right? There was a lot of scraping on my teeth, which only bugged me because of the screeching sound it made. Ugh...that still gives me chills. Then was a lot of tugging, pushing and pulling, the occasional sound of a drill, and then I could feel the pressure of her threading the stitches.

The last time I saw Dr. Blizzard was in June of 2007. I had originally made the grafting appt. for October 2007, but then we got pregnant as we were hoping and though the OB said the drugs I had to be on were okay, we opted to wait until after the baby was born. A bigger issue was my dental insurance. They couldn't tell us for sure what our coverage would be because we hadn't been on it for a year. Anyway, in the past 16 months I guess I had another gum starting to recede so she did a fourth graft "just because" and still charged the same. What a gal. I really liked her if anyone needs a good periodontist.

I had been prescribed an oral sedative to relax me for the surgery but opted not to fill the prescription. Dr. Blizzard said I did fantastic during the whole procedure, especially for not being chemically relaxed and that I have nice thick gum tissue...just not enough of it. I might do a little research regarding the grafting. I do know they used cadaver gum tissue (I know, people think that's gross) as opposed to scraping the top part of the mouth like they have in the past which aids in a quicker recovery, too. Now that it's over I am a little curious as to what it all entailed but I really am glad I was clueless. It helped not knowing what she was doing for that hour and a half.

When I left the office with Jared at 11:30, my mouth was really starting to hurt. It throbbed and ached. I was starting to get feeling back too and it was like I got braces on my gums because I could feel the stitches and glue all over my gums and behind my teeth which were very foreign to my mouth. It still feels like I have food tucked up in the inside corners of my mouth and around my teeth and it's driving me crazy because I have the urge to get it all out but can't. Dr. Blizzard also warned me that I'm in the "ugly stage" for the next two weeks until I go back in for a follow up appt. at that time to see how it's going and to get sutures removed. I guess the gums will turn a few colors (black, white, purple...) before looking normal.

When I got home at 12:15 I was able to eat a little applesauce and some noodles and then took a mega Motrin and started icing my mouth (which is easier said than done) while I nursed Calvin. Fortunately the Motrin kicked in around 1pm and then I felt pretty good. I was able to make bread, finish dinner, do the dishes, and sort the laundry. I didn't have any more pain that night or even during the night. All in all, I was pretty happy with the first day.

But....when I woke up this morning...I discovered my mouth had morphed...I look like a duck because my upper mouth/lip area swelled up. Actually, as I dried my hair this morning and stared at myself in the mirror, realization hit. Has anyone ever seen the movie "The Dark Crystal"? I look like one of those characters. I don't even remember what that movie was about or what the "people" were called but I remember what they looked like. I could pass as one of them with the big protruding upper mouth. Ugly actually. And fun for me, I've got errands to run today.

6 comments:

Jen said...

Jenn...I hope your are feeling OK. It brings back memories of when I had to have a hole made in the roof of my mouth for a permanent tooth...Another one of those miserable, eeeeew!, oral surgeries. Let us know if you need anything.

Unknown said...

I think those people on the Dark Crystal are called Geldlings...and you DON'T look like one! Please Please call if can do anything for you...I would love to watch kids of make dinner...just let me know and I'll be there in a blink!

Brosita said...

Ouch Jenn_ sorry you had to go through that
I did see dark crystal. you don't look that bad! reading about it made me laugh though.

Hope happy days are ahead for you

Sonja said...

Wow, I hope you are doing better. Yikes I've never had that done before. You are such a trooper.

mle said...

Yikes Jenn, reading your post just gave me the willies. And I have seen the dark crystal many a time, and you dont look anything close to a gelfling. It was nice to see your face for two seconds the other day when you drove by my house. We miss seeing you guys, come over and play. JOnah begs me to call for Cooper to come over all the time. And he keeps Coops nice postcard from Alaska in his special box still. Do you guys have school off this friday? Cooper have any plans? Its too bad they are on opposite Kindergarden schedules. Anyways, feel better and give me a call!

Heather E. said...

This picture reminds me of the stories of our childhood....when my parents used to tend you and me. You used to eat and when you were full you would just store the remaining bites in your mouth (cheek) until you wanted to eat it again. When I saw this pic that is what I thought of......yeah, I know......that is so nice! But, hey those were the good old days. I remember having matching outfits in our 1st grade school picture....mine was yellow and yours was pink...if I remember correctly. Anyway, I hope you start feeling better soon!