Saturday, October 11, 2008

Give it up for....

Jacob Hough as....a NASTY!!

And Cooper Hough as...a Wallybird

in Butternut Creek's performance of the Missoula Children's Theater production of "Hansel and Gretel"! (FYI: the Nasties are the Witch's pets and the Wallybirds eat the cookie crumbs left by Hansel and Gretel).

What a show! All the children did a fantastic job. It was very entertaining. I was so impressed with the memorized parts and songs, the way they nailed their cues and entrances and exits off stage. These kids auditioned on Monday and then turned around and put on two performances TODAY...six days later. My kids were actually focused! (Amazing.) It was so cute and such a proud moment for all of us mommies and daddies.

Mrs. Garrett, the music teacher (and also in our stake) said that before the matinee show Cooper was curled up in a ball backstage and moaned "I can't do this...I'm too nervous." She looked at him and kindly told him to buck up :) Jake had informed me later that Cooper was freaking out. I asked Cooper why and he confirmed it was because he was nervous. I asked him "So what did you do?" He replied, "Oh nothing. I shook it off."

Coincidentally, the 6th grader that played Hansel is the only other Cooper in the school. The two Coopers have bonded. Cooper Jr. wants Cooper Sr. to come to his birthday party but I told him he couldn't come. When asked why, I told him because we didn't know him. So promptly after the final show tonight, Coop pulled me back to the dressing room and said "I need to introduce you to Cooper so you'll know him." He's a fine young man. I also met his parents. We sat across the aisle from each other this evening. Cooper Sr.'s mom said she asked my Cooper what his middle name was. His reply, "Coop". And then he added, "Sometimes people call me 'Super Cooper'." We quizzed him on his middle name on the way home and he answered with Coop again so we had to set him straight.

By the way, our PTC funded bringing the MCT out here for a second year in a row to do the musical. The Missoula (yes from Montana) Children's Theater has been around for 36 years. They travel to all 50 states and provide the set, script, music, costumes, and run the show. The only thing our music teacher did (other than oversee the production) was play the piano when piano parts were needed, so it was very easy for her. By the end of the year, 65,000 students will be cast in school musicals like the one tonight. If anyone is interested in getting this started in their school, let me know. I hope this tradition continues at mine. I'm MORE than happy to have my school spending PTC funds that will provide such a wonderful theater and music experience for the students.

4 comments:

Rachel said...

Look at them! What fun!

Paul and Shelly said...

That is adorable!! Tell them good job from Aunt Shell and Uncle Paul.

Purplepickle said...

I was so sorry to have missed the play. It sounds like it turned out absolutely fantastic. I look forward to Jake telling me all about it a piano lessons. The pictures were great thanks for sharing.

JandS Morgan said...

I'll have to look into this. It sounds so fun. I know Ephant would especially like to do something like this.