Thursday, June 19, 2008

Me and my big mouth

We had flop #3. I was hopeful we wouldn't, but we did. I was making Jared's Father's Day dinner which consisted of steamed rice. I got out our brand new rice cooker (our old one of 6 years recently died) and proceeded to make the batch of rice. I plugged it in, pushed the button down and the red "cook" light came on. I continued with my dinner prep and about 10 minutes later I happened to glance over at my cooker. There was no light on. I knew I was in trouble because even if it were done cooking there should be a yellow indicator light on. Ugh. Dinner was almost done, I didn't need this delay. Besides we were hungry.

I first checked the outlets. Our plug-ins are extremely loose. (Anyone know how to remedy that?). I plugged in another appliance and it worked fine in all the outlets in the kitchen. So then I checked the plug in where it attaches to the cooker. It was secure. Hmmm...so I took the warm inner pot out and readjusted it in case it wasn't sitting in there right. Still no red light. I was totally stumped and had 5 cups of partially cooked rice to deal with. Sooo, I transferred the rice to a pot on the stove and continued the cooking process there. But I still had a brand new, useless rice cooker.

On Monday, I found my April 1st receipt. Then I called the number on the user's manual since they advise you not to return the product to the store where you got it. Which was fine because the box it came in was long gone by now. The service rep that I spoke with on the phone said they'd send me a new one...with no receipt of purchase verification, no questions asked. I told her I bought it a couple months ago and she said it was still under factory warranty. But how did she know I wasn't just making it up?? I didn't even have to return the broken one. Wow...hassle-free for me, but I won't say I wasn't surprised. I guess they figure if I'm taking the time to call and go through the process of getting it replaced, then I must be telling the truth. Interesting...

2 comments:

JandS Morgan said...

I've had that happen with a vacuum part before. I wonder if they save money as well, not dealing with the hassle of verification. Generally I ignore that thing that says not to return to the store. If it is going to break I don't want it, even a free replacement.

Trisha said...

Hey, ya still got that number handy I've been needing a rice cooker. J/K sounds like everything turned out after all.