Thursday, January 3, 2019

October 2018

A warm October 1st, just how we like it! I love how Luke and Calvin were enjoying the beautiful day on the trampoline together...Luke with his apple, Calvin with his otter pop.
And then Luke spent some time playing with the little boys. Just like Jake would have.
One night, during our family time before prayers, the Netherlands was mentioned. Calvin, caught that and exclaimed, "What?? That's a real place? Jake and the Neverland pirates??" He was truly astonished. We laughed and said, "No...not NEVER...NETHER." He got a good chuckle out of his confusion. :)

We were all set to close on Karole's new house on Wednesday, Oct. 3rd. She was getting a little concerned she hadn't seen a moving truck there at all in the previous days. I told her they could have been moving things without a truck. But I saw it right before closing and snapped a picture for her.
And here is the new home owner!!
I taught our lefty Luke how to cut onions for dinner. :)
We had plans to go up to Snyder, TX to spend General Conference weekend with Kevin and Chris because we needed to go pick up Karole's personal belongings that were being stored in their garage. Jared would drive the moving truck back to College Station and I would follow behind in the van with the kids and Karole. Except that a week or two before, Kevin found out they were moving that very weekend into a new home nearby. I was hesitant to take our whole crew up there while they were making a move so as not to get in their way, and also because I didn't want to miss any sessions or talks from Conference. I suggested to Jared that he could take his mom and the big boys to help move stuff and I'd stay home with the three littles. When Jared mentioned it to his brother, Kevin said that having our little kids there would actually be helpful for them as they moved and promised they wouldn't disconnect the TV so we could watch Conference. But as I was planning out meals for that week, I was reminded how hard it is to provide food for Karcyn in a place outside of our home and that it would be even more difficult if they were moving and had their kitchen packed up. A moving day or weekend to me screams of fast food or pizza, neither of which Karcyn can eat and let's be honest, I just didn't want to have to deal with that extra burden. Plus, I found out that she had certain clothes we needed to get to complete her concert uniforms for choir AND orchestra and that very weekend would be the only time we could go shopping together. So in the end, Jared took all the boys and Karole up to Snyder, while Karcyn and I had a girls weekend together.

We bought shoes...
 We ate frozen yogurt...
And on Saturday night we went out to dinner at Napa Flats where they serve GF pizza and gelato...and then we attended the Women's Session of General Conference together in the Bryan building.
After wards and after receiving the challenge from President Nelson to read the entire Book of Mormon by the end of the year, we got ourselves a bowl of cereal and got to it!!
Our air conditioner actually stopped working Friday night. Fortunately, we know a guy in our neighborhood and he got us up and running by Sunday afternoon. Thankfully. It was getting pretty warm. Probably a good thing the family was somewhere else for the weekend. They got Karole's stuff all packed up in the truck and they drove home during the Sunday morning session of Conference, but made it back in time for the afternoon session. And then they went over and unloaded the stuff at Karole's house. Apparently, Cooper drove (with his permit) Karole's van the entire 5-6 hours back from Snyder and through crazy Dallas traffic. Jared was in the moving truck and tried to keep them in his view, but they got separated a few times. Yet then the van would eventually show up behind him. Jared was impressed with how he kept up. And as a passenger, Karole said Cooper did a really good job. Cooper was definitely tired when he got home. That's the longest he's ever driven in one stretch.

Calvin practicing for a future job waiting on tables? 
This little gem is Smokey, a stuffed dragon that was Jared's when he was little. Christina found it in their stuff when they were moving, so she gave it back. He's definitely worn, but fits right in with all the other beloved stuffed animals and creatures here at the house.
Monday, the 8th, was Columbus Day and no school for the kids, so that means FLU SHOTS!
Cooper knew what we were doing, but no one else. I didn't want them to know until we were in the car. I told the other kids to get a stuffed animal and get in the burb and then I filled them in on what we were doing when we got to HEB. And as usual, McDonalds ice cream awaited them when we were done for those who got their shots. JJ was already crying and didn't want a shot as we were getting out. I managed to persuade him to come in and then he said he wanted to be last, which we were happy to accommodate. Surprisingly, Karcyn (the lover of all stuffed animals) didn't bring one in for comfort, nor did she flinch when she got her shot. Calvin didn't bat an eye. But JJ was crying and screaming and kicking just when we announced it was his turn. I couldn't even get a grip on him to hold him and talk to him calmly. So I finally told him he either gets it now or he has to get it later. He chose later. So we left. And everyone got ice cream (even Luke since he got his shots before he came) except JJ. Fast forward to 4:30 or 5pm that night when Jared got home. I told Jared that he needed to take JJ to get his shot while he and Calvin were out running an errand. When they come home an hour or so later, JJ walked in to the house and said, with sad puppy dog eyes and visible regret, “I didn't get my shot." What? My head darted up to Jared to verify what I was hearing. Jared looked at me while shaking his head and rolling his eyes slightly in exasperation as he was closing the car door. I couldn't believe it. JJ *needed* his flu shot. I'd never been in this situation before and I exclaimed, to no one in particular, "Now what?" I looked at JJ again, expecting him to tell me what the pharmacist might have said we had to do since the shot had already been run through insurance and had already drawn, etc. He looked at me for a few seconds and then a crooked smile started to cross his face. "Just kidding!!!" he yelled. I was confused because Jared had confirmed to me that JJ hadn't gotten the shot and then I realized I had just been tricked! By both Jareds! I punched Jared in the arm and exclaimed, "You were in on it??" Jared said, "Oh yeah. I had to." This is how it all went down according to Jared...

Of course, JJ just sat right down at the pharmacy and got his shot like it was no big deal. Didn't even cry and proudly wore his "Flu Fighter" sticker (eyes rolling here). On their way home, JJ said, "Hey Dad, I need you to look mad. Show me your mad face." When Jared asked why, JJ said, "Because then Mom will think I didn't get the shot." At first Jared said, "No, I don't want to do that to Mom." But JJ was very convincing. "No Dad, really, it'll be good! Show me your mad face (Jared looked at him)....yeah, that one!" :) How do you refuse that confidence? So Jared agreed. And they put on a very good performance. I've decided however, that this only worked because I am much too trusting! :) I am so scarily impressed that JJ would even THINK of something like that. He's just barely 7 years old!! Ahhhhhhh!!! 

This isn't even a big storm...but there was a lot of rain that came with it.
Our front door waterfall.
And the back door waterfall.
But we got a double rainbow out of it!
On the 9th, I had my second annual mammogram. I went to the same place I did last year. It's a smaller facility and as part of the visit language they tell you that if the radiologist needs to see any additional images, you'll get a call and do those up by the hospital in Bryan. No problem. I didn't have issues for my first screening and I was in and out and on my way in no time.

Later that night, I had a meeting at the high school. Cooper's choir is going to New York City in April 2019 for $2,000. Which, to be honest, while that price tag is a lot for our budget, isn't a terrible price. In fact, I went to NYC when I was a senior with my swing choir and it cost about $1500 over 20 years ago! Granted, we WERE traveling from Alaska to NY. Anyway, I would love to go with him, but we can barely afford to send just him because they need the money pretty fast--and we already have our extra funds earmarked for other things. And once you commit to this trip, you're stuck. No backing out, no refunds. They don't care if there's a death in the family or if the student is so sick they are forbidden to travel. If you can't go, you're out of luck. We told Cooper that this was a big commitment and would be the only school trip we would help fund and that he needed some skin in the game. He offered to pay for half. He has grand hopes of getting a job soon. But whatever he earns, he still owes money to his mission fund first, so this could easily take the rest of his high school career to pay off. We'll see. It's a really neat opportunity, though, so we don't want to deny him that just because he won't have his portion of the trip up front. So we'll cover it and he'll pay us back. The choir might go on a trip his senior year, but he didn't want to chance it. I just wish we had known about the possibility of a trip to NY during the summer so we could have started saving up for it. But it is what it is and we took the plunge...with our fingers crossed.

Cute little frog on the side of our house by the front door.
On my way to yoga Wednesday morning, the 10th, I got a call with the ID saying "unknown." I usually don't answer those, but for some reason I did. It was the imaging office from the hospital calling to tell me the radiologist looked at my breast x-rays and that I needed to come back in for further imaging on my left breast. The next available was the next day, but I was scheduled to sub at the high school. After that, the next available day was Oct. 19th! My parents were coming to visit, the last time before their mission, on the 17th. I asked the gal on the phone if she didn't have anything before the 19th because that was TEN days away!! I did not want that hanging over my head for a week and a half. Turns out, they had a cancellation at 2:30pm that afternoon, so I took it. I tried not to panic or let my brain go down those unproductive paths, but it was so hard. I texted my parents to let them know and called Jared. I made arrangements for JJ after school. And then I had to stay busy and occupied til I left at 1:30 to go up near the hospital in Bryan. Jared came home for lunch, so that was a nice diversion. My mom called (she was in GA visiting Kelly). She said that she sometimes had to get repeat scans done as well. And to try not to worry about it too much. She also had to have a biopsy done on one of her breasts and it ended up being nothing, but she agreed it was so unsettling and a bit scary waiting to find out. I got the new pictures done on the left breast...three different ones and the tech told me that she was going to leave to go show them to the radiologist and they'd have an answer for me in a few minutes. Whoa. I appreciated how quick that would be but wasn't expecting it. So there I sat in a cold room with a big machine all by myself. I wished Jared was there with me and told Heavenly Father I really needed His peace. Peace in Christ. Was Wednesday, Oct. 10, 2018, going to be one of those dates seared into my memory? I looked at the big mammography machine and tried to tell myself that even if it did show something bad, I should be grateful for this tool to show us anything. My life might be spared because of it. The gal walked back in and said, "He wants to ultrasound it." My heart sank and I put on my brave face. I went back into my dressing room to text my parents and Jared to tell them what was happening. If they could pray for me, now would be a good time to do it. I kept praying for peace and for the most part, I felt it, but the second I started thinking about my future, about Jake being so far away, tears welled up in my eyes. My life could change drastically in the next ten minutes. The ultrasound tech came back and got me and she performed the ultrasound. She said she was going to take those findings to the radiologist and said that he might want to come see her do the ultrasound live or he might do it himself. And there I sat alone, again, wondering what I would do if I had breast cancer. I asked myself, "Do you believe?" like that one mom asked herself while being life-flighted with her very sick little boy over the Utah valley we heard in a conference talk a few years ago.  And I said I did believe. No matter what happens, I do believe and I know that God has a plan for me. And I started thinking of all my blessings...to be able to  "grow up," to go to college and be married in the temple, to have five beautiful, healthy, intelligent and talented babies and to even get the opportunity to see one of them go on a mission. Those are opportunities and gifts many have never had and will never have in this life, so I can't be mad about what would have been. I've been given so much already. The gal walked back in. I looked up at her. It was like slow motion. And she said, "Well, good news. He doesn't want to see you. You have a mass of cysts in your upper left breast, but they are benign." I almost didn't believe her and asked "Are you sure?" She said yes. Apparently, it was a very easy thing to recognize once the ultrasound had been done. I went back into my dressing room, collapsed on the bench, clapped my hand over my mouth to stifle any sounds and started crying. And cried for several minutes. Tears of relief, gratitude, and joy. It's not often one faces the possibility of their own mortality. I guess my work on the earth isn't done just yet. But I'm relieved to know for myself how I would approach a life-threatening situation. I clung to my Heavenly Father and I'm not just talking the talk. I do believe in God and His perfect plan because He is a keeper of His promises. 

Later that night, we did some "Hauntings" where we deliver a plate of Halloween goodies to neighbors and friends from church and challenge them to pay it forward. Cooper wanted to do his friend Justin, so I drove him and Luke to Justin's street so they could perform the mission. 
Wouldn't you know, of ALL the times we've done hauntings, this was the FIRST time Cooper got caught!! Hahaha! Too funny. A nice big slice of humble pie for my ninja.

Luke and Karcyn very diligently working on their homework after school. Those two and Calvin get home between 4:30 and 4:45. Luke is the later arrival.
I picked up a substitute job in Calvin's English class, but when I got there, I learned that there's a team teacher who does the teaching, so I was a little confused why I was even needed. I went to the front office to ask if they needed me somewhere else that might be more helpful. As it turns out, one of the math teachers was going home sick and would I take her class. Absolutely! It was a little disappointing not to be in Calvin's class, but he understood. This is a picture of him at his locker.
Luke just started taking piano lessons in May and is doing pretty good and gives me hope for some kids of mine who aren't taking lessons, but I think would benefit greatly by having them. Cooper was messing around and started throwing Karcyn's stuffed cat at Luke.
And a little tug-of-war ensued.
A first ever "cat fight." Hahaha!
On Saturday, the 13th, my counselors and I drove to LaGrange, TX (about 90 minutes away) to check out the property our stake had reserved for our Youth Conference in April 2019. It's an older property, but very well maintained and situated on a lovely spot of land.
An armadillo carcass. :)
Some of the cabins.
The gathering center.
Outdoor space. It was so muggy that day. Bleh. We were dripping sweat by the time we were done.
Gorgeous property though.
Love this--it's like the Tree of Life.
Tree house area with a fire pit and places to grill and outdoor lights.
This little grove--lots of inspiration could happen here!
We weren't just being whiny about the weather. There were storms brewing. We got an incredible lightning storm that lasted several hours later that night and there were two or three tornadoes that touched down just north of us!
Mole Day in Cooper's chemistry class was coming up! October 23rd (10 to the 23rd power). He crocheted a mole for extra credit. He actually created it on his own from a pig pattern he found. He just changed the nose! Super creative!!
The three silver vehicles at our house!
JJ made this Texas flag in school and I just love it. I'm going to get it framed and put it on our wall.
This is another paper of JJ's that I fell in love with. If you are familiar with the book "Where the Wild Things Are" you'll see how great JJ's drawings are!! I can't even draw stick figures.
JJ rides the bus to and from school and while Jared drops off Karcyn and Calvin at their respective schools on the way to work, we make them ride the bus home. But when it's raining buckets, I go pick them up from the bus stop. This was one of those days and JJ was excited to show the kids his Pokemon book that he bought with his own money at the book fair at school.
First time eating Dominoes Pizza (which now has a GF pizza option that Karcyn CAN eat). We were celebrating Grandma Hough getting her new house and miraculously, she had moved out by Monday the 15th...which meant I had to rush to get me and Jared moved out of Karcyn's room and moved back into our master bedroom/bathroom and get Karcyn's room ready for my parents who were coming in a day and a half. Ha! It was crazy but I got it done. I promised Karcyn she would get her room back by Halloween. :)
The lockers in our study. Luke uses Jake's locker, the farthest on the left and then they go in age order after that. Notice there are three other lockers with all the backpacks and binders hung up and stowed properly in them except one. *sigh*
Yay!!! Grandma and Grandpa Lee made it!!! We're always so happy to see them!!
Cooper showing Grandma and Grandpa his new bowling moves and technique. He was so excited about bowling after the summer bowling program, that we signed him up to be in the league for teenagers on Saturday mornings this fall. He's been having a blast and is getting really good.
Grandma showing JJ where Iceland is. I love the double meaning of the word GATHER--in our dining room and over the world map where loved ones have devoted years of their lives through missionary work to help gather God's children.
Calvin giving Grandpa loves.
Grandpa joining JJ for his Cheerios breakfast before JJ heads off to school a little before 7am.
Karcyn had her first middle school orchestra concert on the 18th. It was Luke's first time attending one. We were happy the whole family could be there.
Luke giving JJ a brotherly piggy back ride after the concert. JJ wanted Luke to take him to Brazil. :)
Our post-concert treat at McDonalds.
The adults (me, Jared, Mom, Dad and Karole) all went to the temple Friday night together. On Saturday, the 20th, after Cooper had his bowling league, we joined him at Grand Station for our traditional family bowling game. The alley totally had a makeover! They have booths with corresponding tables and a new operating system for the computers/score keepers. So nice!!
Karcyn made Cooper a lego creation for his birthday, Sun. Oct. 21st. That's a tiger up on the platform. Super cute. She spends so much time making meaningful things for people.
I made Cooper a pistachio marble cake for his birthday and only had an '8' candle for his birthday. I do that EVERY TIME. I never had the right candles or enough for people's birthdays--ever. It's a chronic problem and you'd think after almost two decades with kids I would have rectified the situation by now. But I haven't. Though, Cooper turned 16 so we decided he would blow out the 8 candle twice, since 8x2 is 16. Problem solved! :)
Time for the second lighting. :)
My wonderful friend, Jamie Graham (and now the bishop's wife) agreed to take some family pictures for us with Luke and while my parents were in town. So after dinner and cake and gifts, we headed to the George Bush Library. Here are my favorites.
I love this one so much. The sky was absolutely gorgeous that evening. Just wish Jake could have been there to complete the group.
 Me and my amazing parents!!
For family home evening, on the 22nd, we decided to go to Buc-ee's to give my parents and Luke the true Texas experience. :) We drove south to the one off Hwy 290. Took about 45 minutes or so to get there. We wanted Luke to be able to get any souvenirs that he might want to in this "one stop shop."

Cooper being silly with a drinking flask...while wearing his BYU sweatshirt.
The family pic with Buc-ee the beaver!
It's a massive gas station...and store, and rest area and place where you can buy pastries and BBQ meat and tacos. And souvenirs and crafts and outdoor equipment. It's impressive. I think I counted 23 Buc-ee's in Texas when I looked them up.
"The Buc-ee's sign, is big and bright...deep in the heart of Texas." :)
After all the rain we received, there was a small mushroom growing out of our welcome mat by the front door!
These birds are called grackles. They are loud and annoying because they dive bomb and are not afraid of people. Usually they are in flocks of hundreds at a time. They are all over College Station. Usually in places like gas stations or parking lots at HEB and Sams.
Jared and I had a work dinner to go to and Karole drove Cooper to his fall concert that night, so we asked Luke if he'd watch the kids for us. Of course he was willing. I caught this moment on our way out the door. Luke's first time babysitting--nailed it! ;) They were just wrestling.
They played games, too. This one is Five Crowns. All three boys are very good at it!
This was the sunset that night.
On Friday, the 26th, I went on my second field trip in two weeks for my calling. I drove to Wimberley, TX (2 1/2 hours one way) with Jennifer Miller (Stake YW camp director) and Kelli Kimber (one of her assistants) so we could scope out the property where girls camp would be held the following June. Sadly, Jennifer had just found out she would be moving so we don't know who the new camp directors will be, but camp is changing anyway...it's being planned and executed by the Youth Camp Leaders (16 and 17 year old girls) so it's going to look and feel a lot different than girls camp has in the past. But it sure helps having a visual for where you'll be staying and what the activity options are, etc.

And there were deer waiting to welcome us there.
This first part is newer and very nice. Lots of room to gather.
Lots of outdoor space, too.
They are all pre-wired and set up for any technology needs with a screen and projector.
A space like this and it's going to feel like a glorified girls conference, not camp.
The deer weren't shy!
This pavilion is really nice for those morning devotionals and skits.
They even have a pool!
And people to cook all the meals for us. It'll be interesting to see how that all unfolds this next summer.
Jared and I brought home a doggy bag of food from the work dinner the night before so that Luke could try it. It was beef brisket, sausage, potato salad, beans, bread and corn. Oh and there was a jalapeno that snuck in there. Luke doesn't like spicy stuff...whoops!
Karcyn's poster for Red Ribbon Week--Just say no to drugs!
On Tuesday, the 30th, I was a chaperone for Calvin's class to the George Bush Library. I've lived here four years and had never gone. This would be a good way to see it. Chaperoning parents are not allowed on the buses with the students though. You have to always transport yourself. Which is one of the reasons I don't chaperone on the field trips my kids go one. But the library is only 10-15 minutes up the road from my house, so I was comfortable with this venue. :)
They had a Leonardo DaVinci exhibit at the library with all sorts of contraptions and inventions that I didn't even know DaVinci was responsible for creating. Pretty cool stuff.
The crane.
The "Oval Office." Yeah, that looks about right!
Calvin's homeroom teacher assigned him to me with ten other GIRLS. Ha!
Thought I'd get in on the action, too.
Doing some creative work in the education room and our final stop.
Later that night at 5:30pm was the Trunk or Treat in the church parking lot. JJ went as the indoraptor, Calvin went as a baseball player (because he had a baseball game to get to right after...Jared would be driving him to that). Karcyn was a middle school student because she had basketball tryouts until 5pm, when I picked her up from school. Cooper was--um, I'm not sure. A grumpy teenager? And Luke went as a Brazilian as we showed him what Trick or Treating was all about.
As soon as the kids made their rounds (in the blazing sun...we were all sweating big time), Jared drove Calvin to his baseball game and I drove the other kids home...just to drop them off, make sure they had something for dinner and drove right back to the church for a 7pm leadership meeting.
Luke was pretty impressed with how Trick or Treating works. Haha! We learned he LOVES sweets and is very much a cookie monster. We don't have them in our home very often (mostly because of Karcyn) but when we do...he goes crazy for cookies!
Sorting his loot.
On Halloween, we were graced by crazy weather and were under a tornado watch for about four hours.
A couple hours before school got out for the day, Jared got this text from Cooper and sent it to me later that afternoon. Start with the gray text in all caps. For reference, Ms. Walsh is Cooper's honors English teacher, who taught Jake his sophomore year as well and "Iago" is the bird sidekick to the evil Jafar in Disney's movie "Aladdin"). 
Woooo and here come the rains accompanied with some epic thunder and lightning!! My favorite!!!
And in honor of Halloween we had stuffed pumpkin for dinner! Had to capture that first for Luke. :)

No comments: