Saturday, January 5, 2019

November 2018

The day after Halloween--November 1st. I had just been thinking about how, with Luke here, I have five kids in five schools. And I ended up going to ALL FIVE that day, unexpectedly. First was to CSHS to deliver Cooper his lunch, which he forgot when he got out of the car to go to seminary. *sigh* Around 10am I got a call from A&M Consolidated HS. It took me a minute to register in my head why THEY would be calling. I had been getting lots of phone requests from teachers around the district to substitute, so that was my first thought. But then I heard "nurse" and waited for more information. Turns out Luke wasn't feeling well. Oh no. He didn't have a fever but was feeling achy and it had started pretty quick. It was in his legs and then his back. And he had no strength. I went and picked him up and took him home. Jared said it sounded a lot like the flu. I thought Luke had received his flu shot before coming, because when we went, he said he was good. But when I reached out to Hanna, the liaison, she said he wouldn't have had it yet because he left in August and they aren't available then. Ahhhh. It would cost him about $250-300 to go to the urgent care to get a flu test, so after talking to Hanna and having Luke call his parents, we decided to treat it as if it were the flu and start him on a course of Tamiflu--that we happened to have for "just in case" on our cruise in January. I left him to rest and went to the OTHER three schools to pick up the kids for their dental appointments. I teased Luke that he wasn't feeling good because he ate too much candy. :)

If I could survive November...I'd be in good shape. And I had take it one week at a time. The first MAJOR event was on Sat. the 3rd. The Stake YW was in charge of a stake youth service project. We decided to volunteer at the newly renovated food bank. We'd been making these plans since July and just when we thought things were going well, we'd get hit with an obstacle. One after another--all the way up to less than two weeks before. But all those headaches aside, the Lord blessed us to execute a youth service project that was at least different, if not also impactful. I was SO glad when it was over though! And the feedback we heard was positive. 

On Sunday, November 4th, Luke was feeling back to normal and we fasted as a family that Cooper would do well at his first job interview at Grand Station Entertainment (home of the bowling alley, laser tag, bumper cars and arcade) the next day. As a young 16 year old, in a town full of college students, Cooper got the job! We were so happy for him! This boy needs to work. They told him the job was his before he even left the building. 

Tuesday the 6th was a "fun" night. Jared had to drive Cooper to Grand Station because he had a job orientation for about an hour at 6:30pm. So I drove Calvin and Luke to the baseball field for Calvin's baseball game at 6:45, dropped them off, then headed to my stake implementation meeting regarding the new changes happening in church (2 hour church block, alternating classes each week, a new curriculum for individuals and families). Jared was going to head to the game after Cooper was done, but Cooper took more like two hours in his orientation instead of the one that they said it would be. Jared was sad to miss the game plus we told Luke he wouldn't be alone. Jared was still stuck at Grand Station by the time I finished at 8:30, so I left from the church to go get Calvin and Luke from the game. Jared and Cooper pulled into the driveway right before we did. It was just one of those nights. Thankfully, Karcyn was holding down the fort with JJ at home. Calvin announced that he got a hit AND got on base and his coaches put him in as a relief pitcher at the end of the game. And we missed it all. :(

Fall Baseball was coming to an end for Calvin. Playing baseball was his idea and he seemed to enjoy it. November 8th, his second to last game, was a cold, damp night. In fact, this entire fall was full of rain and cold. I think Calvin had maybe two practices and a just handful of games because of either too much rain or super cold temps. One night it was going to be in the 20s. Just a couple hours before the starting time, the officials still hadn't cancelled the game, but I told Jared we were boycotting. Having our kids play in those temperatures was not right. Having their parents sit in those cold temps was not right either. For the record, they did eventually cancel, so Calvin didn't have to be a no-show. On the 8th, it was still pretty cold and wet. But not raining...just misting. Like it was snowing rain, if that makes sense. Very Oregon-ish. Jared was a doll and went to the store and bought us two really nice stadium seats. Holy schnikey. I wish we had invested in them sooner. My back cannot take sitting on those metal bleachers very well for very long. The cold weather just makes it worse. Those seats were amazing and worth every penny. He also brought us blankets. So we wrapped up in those and sat our buns on a cloud of awesomeness and leaned back to watch the game. We were in the lead, up by four. In the last inning, I was trying to find Calvin. That's when I realized, with a gasp, that he was put in as a relief pitcher!! He had only done that once before, two days ago! All of a sudden, I was on the edge of my comfy seat worried for my little guy!
Calvin actually has pretty good form. Because of the weather though, he had to keep switching out wet balls for dry ones that his coaches would toss to him. But he struck out the first player! And a left-handed batter, no less!! I think I was more nervous than he was! He was strong and looked like a natural. Super proud of him!
I love this meme! Yes...let us not forget that on Tuesday, October 30th we were sweating bullets and squinting from the bright sun. But a week later, we were huddling under blankets and wishing they sold hot chocolate, not coffee, at the baseball concessions stand! Haha!
Several months ago, we decided to do "Blitz" for our family cleaning on the weekends. Usually we're met with great resistance when it comes to do what VERY few things need to be done around the house. My kids have no idea what work really is. I have to try really hard to find things for them to do. Sometimes I wish I lived on a farm to teach them about work. When we clean the church building, we do it together all at once, it doesn't take very long, and then we have a treat after. So we decided to try that same technique with the kids. We write on the board all the things that need to be done and we all just gather around and pick things to do. Those who work without complaining get a treat when we're done. It's actually been pretty successful and then certain people aren't dragging their chores out all day long unnecessarily.

This is Luke sweeping. I took the picture to show his mom. He didn't want me to show his mom because he was afraid it might give her ideas. Haha!! We even found that "blitzing" on Friday night is even better, whenever possible, because that frees up all of Saturday.
On Saturday, Nov. 3rd, Cooper got on a school bus at 6am with some other choir students and traveled to another city to audition for the All-Region choir, so he missed the stake youth service project and Luke still wasn't feeling 100% that day. Cooper said that every voice (soprano, alto and bass) except tenor, had two parts--one and two (ones are high, twos are low). And there were 15 choir members for each of those parts or 30 per voice. So 15 soprano ones, 15 soprano twos, etc. But they didn't divide up the tenors. There were only 20 slots. When they announced the names of those who made the tenor section (which they called LAST), starting at the lowest chair and working their way up to the top chair, Cooper was getting nervous. He wasn't in the bottom ten. As they crept up higher and got to the fifth chair, his face and hopes were falling. There were over 100 other tenors who auditioned. Cooper was shocked when he was selected as FOURTH chair out of the entire region!!! Woo!! 

On Saturday, November 10th, the real work began. Jared and I were headed to the temple that morning, so we dropped Cooper off a little before 6am to catch his bus to Waco for the day long rehearsal and practice and then we headed to Houston. We left the temple after grabbing a quick bite to eat and about 20 minutes into our drive home, we came to a dead halt. We ran straight into Renaissance Festival traffic. Oh my heck. There was only one way home and we were stuck. Jared tried to get us around the mess, but that only made things worse, which he deeply regretted. Turns out, we didn't get home until almost 2pm. We had to leave College Station to go to Waco no later than 2:30!! We hurried and changed our clothes, gathered the kids, piled in the burb, swung by to get Karole and drove to Waco (about an hour and 45 minutes away). In the car, on our way home from the temple a few hours before, Jared and I were trying to figure out where to eat dinner that would accommodate Karcyn. We saw there was a Chipotle in the vicinity and after looking up the menu I determined that would be place that could work. So I stuck in the address of the nearest Chipotle in Waco to see how far it was from the auditorium that Cooper was going to be singing at. They weren't too far and even though the Chipotle was back tracking a bit, it was worth it. So that's what we'd be doing for dinner.

On the way to the music center (which was part of a high school campus), Jared asked me to put the address into my GPS. I had already looked it up earlier, so I just selected that address and helped guide Jared to the spot. Except...when the GPS said we had arrived, there was no school or auditorium to be found. But..."Oh hey, Jared, look there's the Chipotle!" Cool now we know where it's at. Jared was quiet for a second and then asked..."Did you plug in the address for Chipotle or the school?" (hee hee...nervous laughter). Now that he mentioned it, I DID select the Chipotle address, not the school one. Whoops!!! So we scrambled to "recalculate" our whereabouts and got to the school as soon as we possibly could! It was after 4:30 and the concert was at 5pm. I really blew it now and felt truly bad about it. Jared had faced enough travel issues that day. We were late and needed seven seats! Fortunately, we were blessed despite my goof. (I cannot be trusted with any kinds of directions!) There were plenty of seats when we arrived around 4:40ish. It was a wonderful concert and we're super proud of Cooper and his accomplishments!!
Dinner at Chipotle (that we were already familiar with--hee hee). None of our little kids (or Luke) had been here before. This was a HUGE eatery win for us. #1) Karcyn could have a rice bowl with no concerns for gluten. And #2) JJ--the kid that eats nothing--actually ate, not one "cheese-a-dilla" but TWO!! It was a miracle!
They had a plaque already prepared with Cooper's name on it, so I got that and a shirt for him.
Karcyn's plant cell project for science. She did a great job!
Luke and Calvin playing "Perfect" as a duet.
Jake worked for Chick-fil-A for several months after turning 16. I wonder if HE ever knew about this. Even living in the land of Chick-fil-A, if it's true, this was news to me!
My next big calling duty: speaking in Sacrament meeting on Sunday, Nov. 11th. I was scheduled to speak in the Brazos (Spanish speaking ward). But then I saw my friend, Scott Rane, didn't have a speaking companion for his scheduled time in the Bryan 1st ward, which was right after I was going to be in the Brazos ward--same building. So I offered to speak with him, if it would help at all. I mean, I'd be using the same talk, just giving it twice. He was SO grateful when I reached out, so that's what we planned on. This talk was about "Taking upon ourselves the name of Christ and restoring the correct name of the church." For the past few speaking assignments, I'd been able to reuse and adapt previous written talks because they were on the same topics. But this was a new one and I hadn't written a new talk from scratch in several months. But I couldn't really get started on it until the stake service project was out of the way. I felt good about what I'd written, but I always wonder if I should have said more or something else. I was in my ward that morning and heard the high councilman speak and give his take on the topic. Which, as I sat there listening, was awesome and again thought that I should have written more about what the Prophet said about the name correction. But it was too late! And with that, I drove to the Bryan building to give my mediocre talk, twice.

When I speak in the Brazos ward, I submit my talk about 5 days in advance so that the person translating it can read it and be familiar with it. And you have to talk slooower to allow them time to translate. He speaks in a device that transmits to headphones for those who want to wear them. But for those who don't, it helps to speak sloooower so that those members who know some English can try and listen and understand what you're saying. It takes every ounce of control in my body to physically slow my speech down to the pace that they need. It is not easy and I hoped it wasn't so slow it was patronizing. I worried about that too. But one of the gals I know who speaks Spanish as a second language said it was awesome how I delivered my talk because it really helped the other members. So I was happy to hear that. As I walked out the chapel doors to get a drink, who should walk in towards me but President Sharp himself. He was going to attend the Bryan 1st ward Sacrament meeting. Lovely! I would be one of the speakers he'd hear that day. That is the second time I've spoken in the B1 ward and the second time President Sharp has been there, too. I was already having doubts about my talk, having the Stake President there wasn't doing me any favors. Good grief. After my talk, Scott leaned over and whispered it was perfect. Which I appreciated. Afterwards, President Sharp came up to me and shook my hand and said it was one of the best talks he's heard. Which is sweet...because he's very gracious and complimentary and I think he loves all the talks he hears. :)

So yeah...here comes the crazy weather again.
On Monday, November 12th, we actually spied specks of snow falling from the sky for a few short minutes. Luke was happy to see evidence of snow, but he was praying for more.
I took Luke and Cooper to Fazoli's to reward them for All As on their report cards. Way to go, boys!! It was kind of funny though because anytime Cooper was all proud of a 95 or 97 on a test in chemistry for example, Luke got 105. :) We told Cooper not to worry. An A is an A.
If you ever see little creatures hiding in unexpected places, that is JJ's doing. I love it though. It's like his "signature" and makes me laugh, even if I might have jumped a little first. That is a bat he stuffed in the paper towel roll.
Ahh, yes. Another meme that speaks truth about Texas weather.
On Thursday, November 15th, I had the gift and privilege of flying to Oregon for a girls getaway. This had been in the works since the beginning of June and I figured I'd probably need a break (just from calling related things if nothing else) by this time of year and boy, did I ever. I'm so grateful I went for it. My next calling hurtle was still to come. Back in July, President Sharp asked if the auxiliary presidents of Relief Society, Young Women and Primary would do about 15-20 minutes of training at their bishopric training meetings. He really does value what the women think and see and wants to give us an important voice at these meetings. The RS President went in September, so I was up the end of November...right after Thanksgiving. I had four months to think and stress about it, so I wasn't going to allow it to overshadow my big weekend. I had plenty of time to review it on the plane ride there and home. I left CS on the same 5am flight that Jake did to Dallas. But before I even got through security successfully, this happened. (Written as a story for the McCulloughs...regarding their Christmas gift).

Dear Wes and Bev,

As promised--here is the silly story of the jam.

There is a new southern café (Stella) that just opened up here in town. I've been twice already. So yummy and I noticed they serve and make their own jam. Knowing I was heading your way the middle of November and that you guys enjoy homemade bread and jam often, I wanted to gift you with some unique jam that's made right here in College Station with a bit of a southern flair. J

Since it was just me flying to Oregon and for a few days, I was determined not to pay $50 in checked bag fees and was super impressed that I got all my stuff (hair dryer, curling iron, flat iron, 2 pairs of shoes, clothes for 3 days, church outfit, coat, etc. and a jar of packaged jam) all in my small blue carry-on.

As I patted myself on the back for this unexpected packing feat, it dawned on me that the jar of jam might not make it through the security process. (I had been warned.) But I rationalized that it's just food--special southern food--and NOT a true liquid (despite its state of matter being more on the liquefied end of the spectrum such that I would consider it "runny jelly" more than solid jam.)

Even still, I told Jared on our way to the airport at 4AM that I needed him to wait out front after dropping me off (it's like waiting outside of someone's house…security is 10 feet from the door) just.in.case the jam doesn't make it. There was no way I was going to surrender it to security. It was far too expensive and yummy to be tossed.

I got everything on to the security table and set my two bags and screening bin on the conveyer belt and held my breath, trying to look as innocent as possible. My blue carry-on had just disappeared into the dark side of the x-ray compartment and then the belt stopped moving. My bag got STUCK! How does that even happen?? The workers behind the x-ray monitors had to pause the whole process and tried reversing the belt in order to dislodge the bag. Oh, if only! Still stuck. So now there's a growing line of tired passengers waiting to go through security behind me and they're stuck, too. No one can go anywhere because my jam, that was in my carry-on, "jammed" the security machine! Honestly though, what was the hold up? I could feel the heat of embarrassment rising to my face knowing that was MY carry-on. But I quietly stood there, looking around, as if I had no idea whose blasted bag that was and tried not to bring any attention to myself.

By now it was all hands on deck. Several security workers had to leave their posts to lend their assistance with this obstinate piece of luggage so we could all get on with our lives. One lady official even brought over a very long pole that she used to try to loosen the carry-on from whatever it was hung up on. All the while, Jared's texting me, wondering about the status of the jam. I told him we were having technical difficulties.

They finally got the bag free, but then BOTH my bags were set aside for further investigation. Drat. The security guard said they needed to check the candle in my blue carry-on (I had two candles in my black shoulder bag actually). He was referring to the jam. That's when I piped up in full transparency, with confidence and said, "Oh, that's not a candle, that's jam." After going to great lengths to unearth the jam from the bottom of my stuff, the guard found that it was wrapped up all ready for Christmas--just the way you found it--and set it on the table.

First, using gloved hands, the guard unwrapped the candles and got out some investigative solution to dampen squares of cotton and wiped the surface and all around the lid. After he deemed them both safe, he gave them back to me and referring to the Christmas jam said, "Anything with water in it as a main ingredient over 3.4 ounces can't go beyond this point." Turns out the jam is 8 oz. He said I could give it to a friend, I could check my bag or I could surrender it there with him. I perked up and asked hopefully, "You'll check the bag for me?" Nope--I had to do it myself. So I told the guy my husband was waiting for me outside and I'd give the jam to him. As if I were a potentially dangerous threat to nearby passengers, the guard escorted me all the way to the point of no return, where the secured area stops/begins. Thankfully, Jared had not left (even though I had robbed him of about 30 minutes of sleep before kids had to get up) and gave him the jam to take home for me. After saying good-bye to Jared again, I got back in line to go back through security. The gal checking IDs looked at me with surprise and asked, "You again??" "Yup--I had jam. Don't pack jam."

I am happy to report that the blue carry-on learned its lesson from the previous trip through security and did not get stuck again. But I did hear one of the security employees behind the monitors ask, "Uh, have we seen this bag already? Are those candles?" That would be a yes and a yes. And the candles got pulled aside and swabbed down again, too.

Interestingly and ironically enough, my carry-on (and all the other bags on that first flight) HAD to be gate checked because the rinky-dink puddle jumper plane is so small. You know--when the aisle and window seats are one in the same.  J

And then, when I was at the Dallas airport, browsing through some souvenir shops, I discovered shelves and shelves of salsas and hot sauces. Not to be defiant, but how can those items be allowed on the plane, but not my jam? Do they go through a special security check before being unpacked at the airport because they were all over 3.4 oz?

Furthermore, the flight to Dallas was "very full" so the agents asked for passengers who would be willing to voluntarily check their carry-on bags. Being the gracious traveler that I am, I happily parted ways with my rolling carry-on. And that bag went from Dallas all the way to Portland in the belly of a bird. What kills me, just a little bit, is that my bag ended up being checked for all three flights, with no jam inside. *sigh* I guess I can't be too upset with the airports wanting to keep our airspace and flights safe.

Ah well. It is what it is. I knew mailing you the jam, while only mildly inconvenient and not nearly as fun (for me, of course), would still cost less than checking my bag. So it's all good. And I hope, when you spread this jam on your food, that you will remember, with a chuckle, the little jam it "caused" Jenn at the College Station Easterwood Airport. J Merry Christmas!!

This was the beautiful sunrise when I got to Dallas.
When I got to my gate for the flight to Ontario, CA I had received a text. It was from Shane Hinckley from our previous CS3 ward. Attached was this picture below. The picture was from HIS brother, who just started serving in Budapest, Hungary--serving in the mission office. CRAZY!!! It is SO awesome to get pictures of your child--sooooo far from home--from branch members and senior missionaries or other parents. Especially since it's not easy for Jake to send pictures to us.
Third flight...flying into Portland. Gorgeous day!!! There's Mt. Hood.
I think the second mountain peak is Mt. Rainier? It looks too tall to be Mt. St. Helens.
I thought the plane shadow coming in for our landing was pretty cool.
And I don't know WHAT IS UP with the carpet and shoes picture movement...something about the carpet being replaced? But I was there, so why not?
Wes and Bev graciously picked me up at the airport and took me back to their house. We had a delicious dinner and caught up. Then we went to go see the new twin babies of a nearby friend, David Waters. David actually did some work for us in our yard when we lived there. Pulled up some nasty tree roots.

Friday morning, Bev loaned me their car and I headed to Dr. Hicken's office. I promised Dawn (one of the MAs) I'd swing by. It was 7:45am so it wasn't really busy, thankfully. It was so good to see her and to surprise Shirley. Jared and I miss them a lot. I was also able to visit with Dr. Hicken for a few minutes, but that makes me uncomfortable...like I'm intruding. I felt bad enough that I was in the "back" patient area. Even though I used to be the manager (and a patient) of that office. :)

I swung by our old house and took some pictures, but it looks gross, so I didn't bother adding them here. When I got back to Bev's, I edited an application for a master's program for Nicole and then Vickie Hansen showed up with OJ (our first bishop) and off we went to Manzanita.

This...is...the beach house. Just wait until you see the inside. It is incredible!
Absolutely STUNNING!!! It was a PERFECT beach house. I highly recommend it!! And here, I'm standing in the backyard.
Here's a selfie for perspective.
Vickie took this picture of me still in the backyard, up on the top of a small hill that leads down to the beach. The weather...I could not have prayed for anything more incredible. We're talking the middle of November!!! In the Northwest!!! It was mind-blowing!! I totally expected clouds and rain.
Me and Vickie.
A gorgeous sunset.

I got to sleep on one of the top bunks in the "fun room." ;) This was my view out the small window that next morning.
Time for a hike!!
So pretty! Though I have to say I was panting pretty hard. Not used to climbing mountains. Haha!
And there it is. The coastline.
Me and Michelle King. Her oldest and Cooper were good buds.
Kelly Jones soaking up the rays.
Nicole Stoddard, Bev McCullough, Katie Durrant, Jenn :), Kelly Jones and Michelle King.
A million dollar view!!
The water is so calm.
And this was the mountain I hiked to get that view. So worth it!! Only took an hour or so each way. Not bad.
Here is the sixteen of us: Nicole Stoddard, Dory Leder, Heather Wood, Melissa Woodside, Marie Fernstrom, Michelle King, Jann Poff, Kelly Jones, Bev McCullough, Katie Durrant, Mary Ann Andersen, me, Vickie Hansen, Julie Nelson, Jenn Lusk, and Laurel Pope.
On Saturday night, I went for a walk along the beach and looked for sand dollars and shells. I was actually VERY blessedly successful. (We won't mention the fact that Calvin found my sand dollars--which made it all the way home in tact--drying out on the back patio and smashed every single one of them because he wanted to find the "doves" inside. Ohhhhh, I was not happy...at all. Those were souvenirs for the kids--and Luke.)
Sunday morning...saying goodbye. I rode back to town with Kelly Jones. She was going to attend Sacrament meeting in the Farmington Ward, too. We were already dressed, so we lingered a little longer before heading back. That sun though...
The view from the top of the little hill.
From the back porch.
The house information if anyone wants it. :)
Umm, yeah. This is totally me. Kids--am I right?? ;)
It was so fun being back in the Farmington Ward again. It's changed, but there are still a lot of friendly, familiar faces who didn't forget me! It was wonderful to catch up and hug so many people. Then my sweet friend, Stephanie (from our very first ward in Oregon when we lived in Forest Grove) came to pick me up from the church so we could spend some time together--which was so fun to do with her family. We had a lot to catch up on and it was exactly what I needed. She graciously drove me to the airport for my 1pm flight on Monday.
Since I wore different shoes home...
For a long time--many months--I have felt so run down and tired. But my iron was good. I even started meeting with a personal trainer (Bailey) at the end of September and I have been working out every day--doing strengthening exercises and lifting weights M-F for almost two months, but I still felt tired. I arrived home late Monday night on Nov. 19th from Oregon. Thanksgiving break had already started for the kids. (They got an ENTIRE week this year!) When I woke up early on Tuesday morning, my eyes popped open and I all but bounced out of bed. After a long day, I was reasonably tired later at night, but again, I jumped out of bed the next morning. I started to notice I had more energy. Even after taking 3 flights one day and 2 another and staying up til midnight and 2am (my time) while in Oregon, I felt energized. I could only attribute that significant change to the girls weekend. I never expected that as a result either! But man, I guess needed five days where I didn't have to do or think about anything WAY more than I thought I did!! Time where I could just be and and enjoy and soak in the friendship, laughter, and the crashing waves of the ocean. That was a most pleasant surprise!

This picture is to give perspective to my Oregon friends about the size/price ratio of Christmas trees here in the south. They are SUPER small, but SUPER expensive. In fact, I'm sad to say that for the first time in my 41 years of life, our family has crossed over to the "dark side" and bought an artificial tree. We just can't stomach the cost and the fact that the trees are mostly dead by the time you get them anymore. *sigh* And I had to buy an "evergreen" scented candle.
We were going to go camping over Thanksgiving since the kids have a whole week, but one of the days we'd be gone was forecasting rain. And as much as I love camping, doing it in the rain is not cool. At all. And having never been to this campsite (Dinosaur Valley State Park near Ft. Worth) and it being over 3 hours away, we decided to scratch the idea and treat Luke to an American Thanksgiving...since they don't celebrate Thanksgiving in Brazil.

On Tuesday, the 20th, two days before Thanksgiving, Jared decides to buy a Traeger smoker and grill with a small bonus he got from work. In his defense, he was going to get it sooner, but thought he might get a deal from a friend and that didn't pan out. But still. Two days before Thanksgiving. We wanted to smoke the turkey, but that night Jared read you have to make a brine and soak it for 24 hours prior to smoking it. That means it had to be thawed and the brine had to be made and then you had to have something large enough to put the turkey in all by 7am the next day! Ack!!! This was getting a little complicated at 8pm Tuesday night. But miraculously, it all came together. And we got that big bird (though not big enough in my opinion) in a big canning pot with the brine.

Meanwhile, Calvin worked on the deviled eggs.
JJ helped make GF oatmeal pumpkin chocolate chip cookies.
Calvin let Luke learn how to make the filling for the eggs.
Calvin supervising.
Luke filling the eggs. Our dispenser was giving us fits though.
Calvin wanting to use "the gun."
Karcyn working on the cookies.
Luke making his own Brazilian treat that his sister used to make.
And Thanksgiving Day dawned bright and beautiful and mmmm, the smell of smoked turkey was amazing and the taste was to die for. Luke said that was the best looking turkey he'd ever seen. We asked, "And how many turkeys have you seen, Luke?" He said this was the first. Haha!
Cute Karcyn made place cards for everyone.
The crew and "no shave November" Jared. :)
The crew and Jenn--who DID shave in November. Several times in fact. :)
An aerial view.
Luke's plate. For the first time in our marriage, I made green bean casserole for Jared. I asked Luke how he liked it (I want to vomit just from the smell). His response, "He has a nice personality." Ha!!! I'm right there with you. Gross.
Since we weren't going camping, we wanted to do something the Friday after Thanksgiving because Jared wasn't working either. So we set out for Fredericksburg, Texas. It is about 3 1/2 hours west of us. And it is a town settled by German immigrants, which is fun because Luke's last name, Suffert, is German and he and Cooper are both taking German for a foreign language. We packed our lunches to eat at a park when we arrived before looking at the shops on main street.

It was another gorgeous day. You can't tell from the picture, but there were a lot of people there.
A German visitor's center.
This was the old hospital. Now a store with lots of fun kitchen cookware, utensils and gadgets. We walked around in it and you can tell where the exam rooms where and the pharmacy. 
Cooper trying to be a stern German teacher in the old school house.
Karcyn sitting at one of the desks and looking at one of the old readers.
The Pioneer Museum was a fun place to go. They had a scavenger hunt for the little kids to do while walking around the property, but we all worked on it together.
That's an old fashioned baby swing. I had no idea those even existed back then!!
Long day, but good times! We stopped at Buc-ee's on the way home for some "dinner." It's been fun adding more cities to the list of places in Texas Luke has visited.
On Saturday, I wanted to clean the burb and thought Luke might appreciate the "drive thru" car wash experience. He decided he needed to video record it.
I didn't realize the soap came out in different colors.
At least he didn't cry like some of my kids used to do. :)
Wow! Gas prices are dropping!
A cold morning at the bus stop!
I spied with my little eye, Luke helping Calvin do his homework. Technically, Calvin is really smart and doesn't need help. I think he just wanted the company. Either way, it was cute.
Tuesday, the 27th, was the big day...bishopric training. If I survived this, I could survive anything!!! It started at 7:30. I was there in September when Annette (the president I served with when I was in stake RS) went. I wanted to get an idea of what it felt like, looked like and I wanted to give her some moral support. They did a couple of things in the beginning and then it was her turn. We left around 8:20ish. It was a little strange being in a room with all men--all members of bishoprics, the stake presidency and branch presidencies. Although, after a year and a half in the stake, I know many of them already. But still. To train them? I just wanted to be done with it. I had no idea how my thoughts were going to be received--by them or the stake. Turns out, President Sharp had to leave early, so he wanted to get through all the important stuff first. AN HOUR AND A HALF LATER...at 9pm, it was my turn. Holy schnikey. But I got up there and did my thing and went home on my merry way after that, around 9:30, just glad to have it behind me. I was surprised when President Roeth texted me while we were in the room together (him on one end, me on the other) before I left and said, "That was AWESOME!!!" with a mind blown emoji. Pres. Roeth uses emojis??? Haha! I got several compliments, in person and by text from other bishops and bishopric members saying it was amazing and the highlight of the meeting, they hope I come back and what I shared was spot on. I even debated about cutting out the first part that explained how I received my inspiration for the training to try and shorten my part, but decided to leave it in. I felt like that was important for them to know and one bishop said it was truly inspiring. So I guess that means I'm not fired yet. And it just goes to show that the Lord will provide and help us. I panicked for the first month trying to figure out what to do for this. It wasn't until I was reading in the Book of Mormon near the end of August that I received a prompting to fast and pray about it and that's when the revelation started to come. It was a truly remarkable experience for me and I'm really grateful it was received in that spirit as well.

Now the next big hurtle...Stake Young Women Auxiliary training--our first ever--Saturday, Jan. 12th. I'm actually training on what I talked with the bishoprics about so I feel good about that. And hope it will be received as such by the Young Women leaders and teachers.

I thought this was a super cute letter that Karcyn wrote to one of her YW leaders, Leslie Call, who had a baby--number 7 and her first girl! For mutual night, the YW went to visit Sister Call and see her new baby. Karcyn wrapped up one of her dolls she had as a little girl and wanted Marlie to have it. Everyone thought that was super sweet.
Cooper wasn't feeling very well and skipped this Young Men activity. I bet he wished he hadn't. Eating donuts off a fishing pole, I mean, c'mon!
JJ was loving our Little People Nativity. In fact, he circled the troops in order to protect baby Jesus from the mean animals (a lizard, an armadillo, a bear and a dragon) that were trying to attack. 
The first light we saw all day when the clouds broke around sunset.
Now it was a face off!
Thursday, Nov. 29th, Jared took a half day and drove up to Dallas to meet Kevin for the Cowboy game. They were doing pretty good, but knowing Jared's luck, the "boys" would botch it at the one game he can go to all year. As it turns out, the "boys" pulled it out and won pretty handily. The game was over early. But it takes forever to get out of a stadium and back to your car and then the 3 1/2 hour drive home. But even still, I think Jared was home before 2am. 

In other news, the end of November was nearing. Jared sported his "No Shave November" goatie rather well. In fact, he was even getting compliments from the youth of our ward saying he looks really good and should keep it. I was kind of torn. But in the end, I didn't mind if he kept it a little longer, so I was kind of surprised that he shaved it off within a few days. He had to order a trimmer, though, first. :)
Friday, the 30th, I picked up Cooper from school around 1pm and we drove almost 2 hours north to Groesbeck so he could take his drivers test. Why didn't he just take a test at the local DMV in Bryan, you ask? Well, for starters, their test availability is roughly two months out. (Do they only employ ONE tester??) Secondly, Bryan is notorious for failing teenagers the first test they take and we just ain't got time for that. So we drove north--same exact place Jake took his test. We were actually late arriving!!! I was a little stressed out about it. But we tried to find the place THREE times. There was no DMV sign. Before we made the third attempt, Cooper had to make an emergency bathroom break and that took a few minutes. So when we arrived and the lady sitting in the hall waiting asked if we were the 3 o'clock appointment and we said yes, she said her son went in Cooper's place instead. They were scheduled at 3:30. Hopefully, the tester would let Cooper go in that kids' spot. In my world, being late to an appointment is mortifying. I really hope this didn't poison the tester. She's the kind of lady, who, when you wait your turn, she asks, "Do you need something?" Or "Do you have something for me?" and you're not sure if you she needs a form or if you have it and you panic a little. Once she came back with the boy that took Coop's slot, I went to wait inside the office for our turn. That's when I heard the lady tell the mom that he didn't pass and what he needs to work on and trying to reschedule. Oh yikes. I didn't tell Cooper that, though. When the people before us were gone I apologized profusely to the lady. Told her we came up from College Station and then had to make an emergency pit stop. She said she was fine to take Cooper out at that time. We had everything already in the system (yay Jared!) she just needed a copy of our insurance card to drive and they were set. They were only gone for 15 minutes, but it was a looooong 15 minutes. When they came back in, I braced myself. She came in first. He followed behind. I tried to get a read on him. He just looked at me and gave me a thumbs up. YES!!!! Yay! Freedom for him, freedom and help for us. He made ME drive home though.

About 10 minutes after getting home, we turned around and got into the suburban. We were headed to Brenham (about 50 minutes southwest of here) for a Nativity celebration put on by the Brenham Branch. They had a live nativity, over 200 nativities from around the world, and a music concert with people from the branch and community performing. The Brenham branch started it last year and it was such a big success that they're doing it again. I missed it last year and was excited it worked out for us to attend this year.

All the kids wanted to pet the donkey.
While we sat and watched the tender reenactment of the first Nativity, the cattle really were lowing and the goats were quietly bleating.
The concert included a hand bell choir. That was really cool to hear. And a community choir. And the little primary children sang "The Nativity" and brought up a piece of the Nativity, one at a time, as they sang about it. So sweet.

We left about an hour later and made sure we swung by the Blue Bell factory so Luke could get his picture taken. Apparently, his family are BIG ice cream eaters. What's funny, is whenever I ask him what flavor he wants, he always says vanilla.
When we got home, however, I had bought a container of "Christmas Cookies" ice cream that Blue Bell makes. Karcyn couldn't have it because of the cookies, but she had another flavor. Karole didn't come to Brenham with us, so I scooped up some ice cream and had Cooper make his first solo drive and take her some...about 10 houses away. :) I need baby steps!! Having already been through a teen driver before hasn't made this any easier on me! Even though Cooper really is a good driver.
Luke and his Christmas Cookies ice cream which he said he liked very much. Even added chocolate syrup to it!

No comments: