Tuesday, January 1, 2019

July 2018

I signed our family up for the "Kids Bowl Free" summer program. It really is awesome! Especially when it's TOO HOT to play outside. I could sign up all my kids under 16 for 2 free games each day. We still have to pay for shoes (which ends up being around $18). But for $30 more, I could add adults and one of those adults could play each day. So Jake played when he was off of work. If Jared was around, he'd play. Sometimes, I would. Cooper was really finding his groove. The code names are as follows: Jayrod (JJ), Hobbes (Calvin), Pena (Karcyn), Mini C (Cooper), Magyar (Jake). Notice Cooper has FOUR STRIKES in a row in this picture!!
The final score!
Next game! Those were some good and close scores!
A sweet lady took this picture of us. I am SO sad it's blurry. But love it so much I wanted to post it anyway. You gotta take what you can get with my group.
Case in point. Here's here second picture. Not bad, but I loved the first one--the way we were all naturally set up for it.
On Wednesday, July 11th (the day Jake was originally scheduled to leave for his mission), Jared's brother, Kevin with his wife, Christina, arrived at our house super early with their sons, Garrett and Korbin. Kevin and Chris were going on a cruise to Alaska and we were watching the boys for them while they were gone. The girls stayed in Snyder, TX with their older sister who was in town.

Korbin and JJ working together to unload the dishwasher. ;)
These cute boys are only two months apart in age.
On Saturday, July 14th, Jared and I were gifted with two tickets (notice the price of each!?) from Dr. Salzer, one of the ENT surgeons Jared works for. We were touched they would think of us.

I hadn't really thought about what I was going to wear. Jared learned he didn't have to wear a tux, so that made me worry less about options. But one day earlier that week, Jared brought home a dress. It was from Dr. Salzer's wife, Sara. She said she had this dress that she couldn't use anymore and wondered if I wanted to wear it. It was sleeveless, but I happened to have a black top I could wear underneath and it worked splendidly! Sara told Jared that it was mine to keep. WHAT?!? Unbelievable!!!! Holy generous!!
An old car with Alaskan plates on it. Coudn't pass that up. We had a wonderful time at the 2018 Hispanic Forum of Bryan College Station. The dinner was delicious and we were touched by the Hispanic community who donated over $100,000 in college scholarships to 71 very deserving, local students. What an incredible organization.
My parents were called to serve in the Denmark Copenhagen Mission in the Iceland Mission Region. I had no idea Iceland was lumped in with Denmark! We really hope to go visit them this time...and maybe swing by Hungary on the way back! :)
JJ dressing up to be some field investigator--with his monitor lizard, of course.
One day at the pool, Karcyn was playing with some bugs. There was a cricket in her hands and she let it go, but she couldn't find where it went. It jumped on her head.
This screen shot is to show it was 88 degrees and felt like 94. At 10pm!!! And notice the HIGHs for the next few days...106, 105, 103...
Saturday, July 21st was my last weekend with Jake. Unfortunately, Jared was working an extra shift from 8:30 to 4:30. But Jake and I decided the best place to be together is the temple. We had a wonderful and special time there together, plus the drive there and back to talk and ponder and share. I was sad Jared couldn't be there, but I was really grateful for the chance to have Jake all to myself. It's hard to compete with Jared when he's around. Everyone just naturally gravitates to him. Jake and I headed to the temple early because we had things to do to get ready for his open house the next day. These are the pictures Jake took.
Mother-son selfie!
I took Jake to Whataburger for his lasssst fast food lunch and American burger. 

Sunday, July 22nd--Jake gave his farewell talk in Sacrament meeting. Many friends were there to support him--members and non-members. Kevin and Chris has gotten home the night before so it was fun to have them there, too. Jake gave an incredible talk. It was about pioneers, but he tied it into missionary work beautifully. And then he blew everyone out of the water by bearing his testimony in the Hungarian language! All that hard work with one of his MTC instructors via video chat, and he already knew how to share his testimony. Everyone was so impressed, though we did joke that he could have been saying anything because none of us understood him. Haha! But you couldn't deny the Spirit we felt. 

After Sacrament meeting, we went to the foyer to get some pictures with friends who came. The woman on the left is the lady from Romania who made Jake dinner that one night. Marylee Gally is the one who knows her and Jake.
I love this picture. The guy standing next to Jake is Alex Reeser. He is our new neighbor who moved into the house across the street from us. We met him for the first time the Sunday before as we were coming home from church. He was outside with this dog. We introduced ourselves and we instantly got a special vibe from Alex. We were worried about having an A&M student move in with possible rowdy parties. We didn't get that from him at all. We told him that the next Sunday was Jake's last one before leaving for two years for Hungary and invited him to hear his farewell talk. And Alex whole-heartedly accepted. We were shocked and so excited! We loved him instantly. He was super impressed with Jake. Alex has only one sibling, a younger brother, just a year younger than Jake.
These great people are Donna and David Fruhling. I am Donna's ministering sister, but they were Jake's temple prep teachers. Donna's health hasn't been good...she's battling cancer, so Jake would drive the 20-25 minutes to their house out by the airport each week for the lessons. But we wouldn't have it any other way.
The Open House spread.
This awesome lady is Jake's chemistry teacher from his sophomore year in high school. They had a special friendship. She was also the girls  cross country/track coach so they knew each other through that as well. During his senior year, Jake would go into her classroom during one of his off periods to study and sometimes they would chat. One time, Coach K had to go to a meeting when she had a class with kids and Jake offered to teach her students something fun and she agreed! Jake bought an anniversary edition Play Station gaming system from a scout fundraiser for $15 a couple years ago. Coach K had been wanting to get one and he sold it to her! She wasn't able to come to Jake's farewell at church, but we were touched that she would carve out some time to attend his open house--and during the middle of the summer!
The wonderful Jared and Jennifer Downs family who are not only our friends but neighbors. We've known them since we moved here. Jake took Ashley out for her first date. They went dancing. :)
The awesome Mach family--all the way from Hawaii--visiting family in Waller and managed to squeeze in the time to see Jake at his open house! Dustie was the previous YW's president and when she trained the older YW to be lifeguards, she offered Jake the same opportunity. That's how he was able to do lifeguarding because College Station only does training on F, S, Su. Which doesn't work for us. We'll always be grateful to her for that opportunity. Dustie and Eric really like Jake a lot. Their daughter Kyla and Jake were cross country runners at school together. In fact, Eric was the one who gave Jake the priesthood blessing at the regional meet in 2016 when Jake collapsed. Jake also taught two of the Mach kids to play piano. Jake found a special place in their hearts and we love them, too! I know what a sacrifice it was for them to get to College Station that night and we are so grateful they came.
I love this picture! It's Coach K with one of her girl runners! Neither one of them expected to see each other!
Jake and Rhianna Boivie. Jake had been giving Rhianna a ride to school from seminary for the last half of the year and they became good friends in the process. Jake also took Rhianna out for her first date right before girls camp.

We found this message on our white board in the kitchen after everyone left. So sweet. 
I wanted Jake to have a package waiting for him at the MTC or at least arrive the day after he got there. So I wrote him a letter and sent some goodies and mailed it off Tuesday, July 24th. It would get there Thursday. Close enough! Wednesday is more of a half day anyway! ;)
Tuesday night, we took Jake to Torchy's for his last official meal with the family. I dedicated all the meals that last week in his honor and made his favorites. Which is most anything. He really just likes food. But there are extra special ones that he likes. And that was my mommy pleasure.

On our way in the car, we were singing The Greatest Showman songs and Perfect.
Even Jared tried to get in on the "emotion" and "motion" of singing.
Jake's new missionary plaque up on the wall at the Stake Center.
I was not prepared for the deeply moving and emotional visit with President Sharp before Jake was set apart as a missionary. (As evidenced by my red, swollen eyes in the picture). We love our bishop, who had been our home teacher ever since we moved here, so we invited him to be a part of this special evening with us. We all went around and shared our testimony and gave our last words to Jake before he was set apart. All I remember saying is that I really wanted to serve a mission, but I had my family instead and that right now, he was my mission. Bishop Graham was very complimentary and it was very moving to hear the sweet words from each of Jake's siblings as he heads out and from Jared and Karole, too.
I recorded Jake's blessing from President Sharp. I wanted him to be able to read and remember and reflect on those words for his entire mission. Likewise, Bishop Graham already shared his awesome mission advice to Jake on his 18th birthday and I made sure Jake would be taking a copy of that with him as well. Two great men...former bishop and home teacher and now current stake president and bishop--both having worked with Jake in the YM and priest's quorum. We feel so blessed to be surrounded by such mighty priesthood holders in our ward and stake.
On our way home, we had to swing by and say hi and goodbye to our family friend, Teasha--an older sister to Jake in many ways.
And then it was time to say goodnight and goodbye to each of his siblings. My engine and caboose. Jake and JJ. Plus we needed pictures for references to see how much growth takes place over the next two years. I love how much heart and feeling Jake put into those final embraces.
Jake and Calvin.
Jake and Karcyn.
And the roommates--for almost 16 years!
Cooper's getting up there...
And Cooper is pretty solid!!
Awwww. It wasn't always like this...
4:30am, July 25th. I'm sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo grateful, they flew Jake out of the College Station airport. Only 20 minutes from home--or 10 minutes if it's 4am.
Cooper, who normally rolls out of bed around 10am, wouldn't have missed this for the world.
Ugh...the hugs are already over. Which was a little torturous having him just 10 feet from me, in the security line.
Love that smile.
Oh brother. Jake got pegged for the super security search. Figures.
And now they need to go through his carry on. I wonder if the ziploc bag of animal crackers had anything to do with it?

A couple copies of the Book of Mormon...one in English, one in Hungarian...gotta make sure those are safe.
And of course, once he was all clear, JAKE had to be the one to pack everything back up. Poor kid. Time was ticking and he was getting a little anxious.
But from there, he headed to the agent checking the boarding passes and he walked away, without looking back. My heart broke a little. And I immediately started crying. It's probably best he just left. If he had turned around, I would have wanted to hug him and I couldn't. Just like that, my baby was gone...for two whole years. I went straight downstairs to watch his plane and we didn't leave until it taxied off. I had stopped crying by then, but my brain still couldn't register two whole years without seeing my baby or holding him. It's really happening. But in some ways I was feeling like: let's just do it and get on with it! Those last few weeks were kind of hard knowing each day we had, ticked by as one less with him. "The Lord bless thee and keep thee: The Lord make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee: The Lord lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace" Numbers 6:24-26. God be with you til we meet again, Elder Hough!
Later that day, I took the kids to the pool. Calvin "wrote" this in water on the cement: I miss U Jake.
We were super fortunate that my parents drove up from St. George and spent the night with my brother in Ogden, so that they could be the ones to pick up Jake from the airport, take him to lunch and then drop him off at the airport. Knowing there was family on his last leg and they were there to hug him and then hand him over to the Missionary Training Center, was a real comfort to me. 
Mom, Jake, Dad and Kaitlyn (my brother's daughter).
And there he goes!
While we were at the pool, my mom called and related the whole pick up and drop off experience to me. It was wonderful. I missed him like crazy, but was grateful for an inside connection. After I talked to her, I got an email from Jake!!!!

Hey Guuuuys!! 

Well, I'm here at the MTC. Can't talk in detail now cause I'm being thrown into the language and I found out some crazy things upon arrival, but it's going amazing. so blessed and humbled to be here! Stay strong and keep in the faith, with an eye single to the glory of god! Love y'all! I'll send a bigger email soon!

Szeretlek Teged!

Hough Elder

I was hoping the bigger email that would be coming soon, would be in a couple days. But as it turns out...we wouldn't hear from him for a whole other WEEK!!! *sigh*

I actually drove back to that same airport later that afternoon to drop Karole off. Her nephew died unexpectedly and she flew to Oklahoma to be with her sister and help with funeral arrangements. We were so sad we couldn't go with her.

And two days later, on July 27th, I drove Jennifer Miller's husband and oldest son to the airport!! I was so happy to help though. I just had to chuckle that I was at the airport more in three days than I had been in almost three years!

The 27th was also our Ward Pioneer Day activity and there was an ice cream contest. Calvin wanted to make some, so Jared bought an ice cream maker and they found a recipe and Calvin made it. Lemon Blueberry. It was DE-lish!!! So bold and fresh! Something new and light for a hot summer day. Go figure it was some death by chocolate that won. Calvin actually got several compliments on it. It appears everyone but the judges liked it. Haha!
Later that day, I got a text from Brady Hodges with this picture attached. He's in our stake and was the Sharing the Gospel instructor who Jake got to know really well the last couple of years. What's funny is my response to Brady. "Oh my gosh!! No way!! What are you doing at the MTC???" I was more than surprised. He looked so official. That's when he said it wasn't him, it was his twin brother. Hahahaha!!!! And then I asked him, "Did Jake think he was you?" He said yes. Haha!! I can only imagine how that must have gone down. :)
Cooper throwing JJ in the pool! So fun!! And I love that we ALWAYS have the pool to ourselves!
On Sunday, July 29th, we went to the Caldwell Branch as a family. It was my turn to be there as a stake representative in Young Women. They had a combined meeting that day, but it was fine. The Caldwell Branch is growing. We didn't have enough seats and some were sitting in the foyer for Sacrament meeting! We stayed for a Linger Longer potluck and because I knew about it ahead of time, we were able to contribute some things. JJ was super tired and didn't make it home before crashing. :)
After jumping on the trampoline with the sprinklers, JJ fell asleep sunning himself on the concrete slab in our backyard where one day a shed will go!
The house that Karole was looking at for possible purchase. It's around the corner about 10 houses up the street from us! Karole had seen it one Sunday when there was an open house. I actually got to walk through it at the end of July. It's really cute. I think it would fit her needs nicely. And of course, I love how close it is. If we're going to be watching out for her and helping with yard work, I prefer she be as close as possible!

No comments: