Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Elder Jake Hough, 12.31.18--week 23

Hey Mom!

Wow....this week was crazy. Super roller coaster of emotions and twists and turns. Ill start with you and then move to my stuff, because ladies first if you want to get anywhere in life ;)

so The christmas call did me in pretty good. Obviously you saw me cry pretty good when I saw yall, it really overwhelmed me a bit to see yall in one spot. Really it did, I had no idea how much I loved yall or missed yall until I SAW you. It was super awesome and I needed it for sure. had some time after where it was hard to get back in the groove but Im back in the game ready to rock and roll! And I LOVED the present, (a tie with Hs on it! H for Hungary or H for Hough or H for "A Hough in Hungary." Jake was supposed to have the gift with him when he called us on Christmas Day so we could watch him open it, but  alas, he forgot it. *sigh* ).
I have a video or two or three for yall Ill try and email at the end of this but they take forever to send, I had Beck elder record me opening it, but I Love it. Super dope, and that does last my mission so you were not lying when you said that haha!

So (our first friend) was just there at his apartment he isnt living in now for christmas when we stopped by because he had some celebrations and we caught him at a good time, so we gifted (the Preach My Gospel book) to him. hes doing good, he called yesterday saying he wasnt good, so we met yesterday and found out he thinks that his girlfriend is cheating on him which is hard for him cause he really loves her and wants to have a family with her and has put a ton of trust in her, and it crushed him just to see and think that she is doing that, we dont know for sure yet though. We really were there for him, shared the (Elder) Holland talk from conference, talked about Gods plan and the gospel in action and how he can find what god needs of him, and just HOW important the scriptures and prayer are when you get a trial. Bap(tism) interview is on the 5th, super close super excited, satan is nervous. That is super obvious. (Our second friend), on the other hand, dropped us. and is no longer investigating. We tried to start her on a stop smoking program and the first morning she texts us saying I cant do this and I dont want to continue with these meetings I m not going to get baptized that is me using my agency. Wouldnt pick up or anything, text or call, then yesterday we found out from this point on from the member we used with her that she is done. Super sad, (her baptism) was a couple months out, feb 23. And now she gave up. Super hard, to feel like you couldve done something better like wait to start the program or use an official one but I cant afford those thoughts. Just move on and not give up on her. And because of holidays we havent been able to meet with any of our other progressing investigators and that is always super stressful that they are also going to drop, I love Christmas, but not so much as a missionary haha! But seriously its 20 times harder. And (the less active member) did not come to church like he said he would.

Thats awesome about the MP3!! (which we'll be shipping to him shortly because he learned it's okay to have as long as there is only mission-approved music on it and he uses speakers not ear buds). I would ask for any letters or pictures you want to send, and the best way is just through postage or maybe a company like fed ex or UPS, but as long as it is really packaged well and taped up well and has the correct address for the mission home and everything which is Hajnóczy Jozsef Utca 14, Budapest Hungary, 1122. Super excited and thank you for putting this together, it is super needed hahaha! Silence in the Lakas is super tough to have every night when you could be getting Tabernacle Choir to lift your spirits. Also Mikulas is santa claus so you know. Nicholas, Mikulas, that is him in hungarian!

Quick story, I had been to the sports store in the mall a few tiems for winter gear and a backpack and the same worker was there every time, it was her first day when we first ran into her, beti, about 23 and so she sees us missionaries a ton, and the 3rd run in I talked to her and the register about why we were there for so long in the sport store, what we do etc. She was super kind and open to talk about it as I was checking out, and I wanted to give her a card of ours but I had none on me, so two nights ago, we were walking  by the mall and I felt to go in and see if yhe was there, and to offer her a time to meet and to learn more about who we are and what we talk about as missionaries, and so we go in adn she was there, and I see her, say hi, ask how christmas was, and so I straight up said "Look, this is super weird, probably, but I felt like I should come in from the street and ask you if you wanted to meet and learn more about who we are what we do and what we believe in and why we are always smiling (inserted a big smile), would that interest you?" She was a little taken off gaurd but was like yeah for sure and so we talked a bit more and that was super good. She didnt give us her number cause she was liek I dont really do that and I dont blame her cause 2 19 year olds are asking for her number, but she said come on in some other day and we can figure something else out after new years, and yall jsut come on in yall are my favorites that come in. So that was really cool following that prompting and I hope something comes from it she is a really cool person.

Ok, this is already long enough (no, it's not!!) I love you so much, and I look forward to this new year, by this time next year Ill be almost done...holey moley. Im not thinking abiout that!! HAHA love you sooooooo much, szia!

Hough Elder

I just want everyone to know that Lala Vanko in Tatabanya is my Hungarian hero! Jake called us on Christmas using Facebook Messenger through Lala's account at his home. I mentioned to Lala that Jake's birthday was on the 27th, and asked if he would wish him a happy birthday for me, if he happened to see Jake that day. Not only did Lala call Jake and sing "Happy Birthday" to him over the phone, Lala told me that on Jan. 1st they will celebrate the birthday of the two missionaries...but it was a surprise. He sent me these pictures this afternoon and even a video clip of the elders opening their gifts and speaking in Hungarian which was fun to see and hear. I just love how Lala and the others made their birthdays super special and an unexpected surprise! Heaven knows I'm sure they could use the lift!

Sparkling juices. 
 Haha! Chocolate and deodorant. Exactly what 19 year old boys need!! 
 All wrapped up!
 The birthday boys! 
A beautiful cake made by another family. 
Jake diving in.
 Haha!! A true "I'm in heaven" face! 

No comments: