Thursday, May 6, 2010

Road trip

Jared decided a while back that he would need a break in March but managed to swing it the beginning of April. He planned to drive down to Utah with Jake and Cooper. They were going to visit Jared's brother and family in Lehi and go to General Conference for the first time in the Conference Center. Jared was taking Thursday through Monday off and with that much time, I thought about crashing the road trip so we could all go, but that contemplation lasted only about 10 seconds. It would be good for the boys to be with just their dad and each other and their cousins without the little ones dictating how long or where we did something, traveling arrangements, etc. I wanted this to be a break for them too. Jared also figured he would be taking the suburban and didn't exactly ask me. He acts like he owns it because he's paying for it or something :) I of course let them take it because apparently a suburban IS the road trip. I'm not THAT controlling, people!

They left early April 1st. At 5am. I had 5 miles to run so I stayed up to see them off but it was so early and I didn't NEED to be up so I actually debated about crawling back in bed. As the garage door lowered, I walked into the kitchen and saw Jared's cell phone charging on the counter. I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me. Then I freaked out and ran to the front door to try and flag Jared down but he had just passed my line of sight. And my heart sank mightily as I watched him drive off without any way to contact me or his family while traveling. I was pretty upset, mostly because there was nothing I could do. Not one thing. I racked my brain for the first five minutes trying to think of ANYTHING I could do to help or send him a signal. So I prayed and asked Heavenly Father to CONTACT JARED, to make him notice that he forgot his phone and if it was convenient to let him know sooner rather than later so he could still come back and get it. And because my adrenaline was pumping, I couldn't go back to sleep even though I wanted to so I painfully got dressed and started the dreaded 5 miles on the treadmill. Forty-five minutes into my run, near the end, I was startled by the opening of the garage. And smiled gratefully and relieved. Jared said he was on the other side of Portland when he started thinking about calling me later and realized he didn't have his phone with him. I was much lighter after he left the second time. It seems silly, since we grew up without having cell phones, but when you're traveling on the road and in different states and for FIVE days, it sure puts this wife at ease.

On Friday, Jared took the boys up to Salt Lake City to Temple Square.

They saw the temple.


And though this platform is used primarily by newly married couples, I thought it was sure cute. Not only do my boys have their arms around each other, they are sporting genuine smiles.


They saw the Christus statue in the North Visitor's Center. Jake actually called me in an excited whisper to tell me where they were at the time (yea for cell phones!)


They visited the Tabernacle--where Conference used to be held in the good 'ol days.


And from the Church Office Building they were able to see the State Capitol from above.


In addition to the amazing Conference Center


and one more view of the temple.


Jared forgot the camera in the car when they went to the Sunday afternoon session of conference, but the boys had an amazing experience and that's all that matters. They also loved spending time with their cousins. Easter was a bonus. Back at home, I had a delightfully low key and super conference weekend with just the babies. No commercial Easter celebrating here. Karcyn and Calvin would never know the difference! And less work for me.

The boys made it back Monday evening and my baby, I mean the 'burb, was still intact and unharmed, and Jared's cell phone was accounted for!

1 comment:

Kim-the-girl said...

That is really cool they did that. I'm going to tell Ethan and let him think about it so he can recognize how cool it would be...