Thursday, April 22, 2010

Speechless

Okay.
Remember this post from 2 years ago??
http://jjcrew.blogspot.com/2008/04/one-big-event-down-one-to-go.html
I didn't follow my own advice.

I answered the phone last night. The first counselor from the stake called to ask if I'd say the opening prayer in our morning session of stake conference, Sun. May 2nd. I said sure. I mean, after all, I've already spoken in conference while I was 39+ weeks pregnant. Praying can't be any harder than that. Right? You can't totally prepare for a prayer or practice it like a talk though and that is a little unnerving, but...on the plus side, it will be over quickly!

Then the phone rang this evening. I looked at the number before answering like I usually do and thought it looked vaguely familiar, yet I couldn't place it. It was the 2nd counselor from the stake. He called to verify that I was asked to pray last night. I said yes then asked playfully if I was being "released" from the responsibility. To my surprise, he said yes, and I was sad for 1 thousandth of a second. They changed their mind, I guess. Or...they didn't want me up at the pulpit so soon after speaking 2 years ago. Uh...no. I was being scratched off the program as offering the opening prayer because they wanted me to speak instead.

(jaw crashing to the floor)

I was SPEECHLESS. He asked if I could do that and I believe I said "if you really, really, really want me to." He said the presidency prayed about it and said they did. (Way to insult the stake presidency, Jenn). Obviously I humbly accepted. Except that they don't want me speaking on Sunday. They want me to speak at the May 1st Sat. evening adult session. Oh my lands. I had forgotten about that as an option. That's WORSE where nerves are concerned! In the Sunday session you can just pretend you're speaking in Sacrament meeting with cute little kids looking up at you. Speaking to adults only, and lots of them from the entire stake, is a whole other ball game. Fortunately, I know they'll pretty much be there just to hear our AMAZING Stake President address us. With any luck they won't remember a thing I say!

So in case anyone is wondering, I'm not pregnant. And I've already spoken in stake conference before. So shouldn't I be LESS nervous this time around?? 'Cause I'm not! Oh yeah, and I'm putting the stake counselors phone numbers in my cell phone so I'll know it's THEM when they call! :)

3 comments:

Carter Family said...

Oh no Jenn!! I would have died! I know you'll do a great job - I love it when you give the lesson in RS. You make me feel at ease.

Shane and Brandi said...

You will do great Jenn! I don't think they could have picked anyone better. My prayers are with you.

Rachel said...

I missed your talk, but I heard you sing! That choir was great!