Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Looking back...

Seventeen months ago our family stood in the driveway of our new rental home, the inside still in boxes, and were saying goodbye to my parents. I tried to be brave and fought back tears. I think I lost the battle when Cooper, 3 1/2 at the time, gave my mom a hug and said he would miss her when she was gone. We didn't even think he understood what was happening. I held Karcyn in my arms, she was only 5 months old, and a deep sadness washed over me when I realized they would miss opportunities to see her early milestones. But all of this tightening of the heart and burning tears was purely selfish. Jared's graduation and helping us move into the rental was my parents' last stop before reporting to the MTC as CES Missionaries for the L'viv Ukraine mission.

Their first mission in 2004 was in Salt Lake City as Family History Missionaries. I, of course, teased them that this wasn't a real mission. For crying out loud, they were running into General Authorities over their lunch break! To make things more unofficial, they could see my brother and sister-in-law and my sister and her family any ol' time they wanted and take them out to eat and shopping and babysit the grandkids. (I'm not bitter). We also got to call and talk to them at home and on our cell phones any ol' time we wanted. Summer breaks and Christmas vacation were of course, spent in SLC. Yeah, we were spoiled. But we were all blessed, in so many tender ways, for their service to the Lord.

This second mission, which started only 5 months after completing their first, took them halfway across the world and ten hours ahead of us. It has been a much different scenario than the first. We had to use the internet to communicate through email (thank heavens for this amazing technology) only when they could get theirs working, however. A couple months later we were able to communicate through web cams (thank you Morgans for giving us yours!) That was really special. A fun new dimension. We still couldn't talk any ol' time we wanted. It took planning ahead of time. Either they were just walking up and we were going to bed or it was the other way around. Packages took 3 weeks to get to them. Not bad I guess, but oh, the lag time was torture! By the time they got it we had forgotten what we sent them. Of course there were the holidays they missed. And the birth of two more grandchildren. This was a much bigger sacrifice for everyone, but especially my parents. Leaving their children and grandchildren in the care of each other and the Lord. We could only pray that the Lord would hold our parents safe and dear in this far distant land.

Today, though, I am ready to have my parents back on American soil. I can't believe the countdown is over. As I type, they arrive in Salt Lake City in 2 hours. They won't be in Oregon for another 4 weeks, but I'm okay with that. Because I know they'll be with one of their children's families whom they missed terribly. (And because I'm thirty and I need to learn to share!)

Looking back on these past 17 months, in my little family's life, I cannot dispute that we have been blessed exponentially for their service. For their love of the Lord which transcends all. For what other reason would they have gone? I'm so grateful for their example and that I was fortunate to be a recipient of their goodness. They served honorably. And when I see them again, I won't be so brave. The tears will flow freely and joyfully when we are reunited once more.

3 comments:

Heather E. said...

That's awesome...good for them!! It is great that they are enjoying serving the Lord together. That is a dream of mine when I am an empty nester! Welcome back, Al and Cindy

Cort said...

Congrats on getting your parents back! I wish my parents would serve...fat chance. Carlos' have served 3 and are leaving for their 4th in March. Unreal and such an example, it makes the homecomings so so sweet.
PS Isn't being 30 more awesome than you thought?

Kim-the-girl said...

I can hardly believe that all that time has past...it seems as though we were all just celebrating Jared's graduation!