Thursday, January 31, 2008

Derby Newbies

Our family's first experience with the Pinewood Derby was Wed. Jan. 23rd. Having moved into our ward 3 weeks before Christmas and Jake's birthday, it was a tight squeeze just getting his scouting stuff for his first den meeting. Only later to find out the Pack meeting for January was the Pinewood Derby! I don't know how much advance notice kids usually get for making their cars, but we had 6 days prior to weigh in. I panicked and called our friend and craftsman, Tony for tips. Jared hadn't been a cub scout when he was younger so he was a novice at this too. But even if he had, we didn't have the tools to make the car. Okay, yes, I guess Jake could have put wheels on the rectangular piece of wood that comes in the kit. But...we wanted him to have some fun designing the car. And he did. His blueprint even included an aerial view.

We went to Tony's that weekend and Jake and Jared worked together to get the car in shape, literally. I gave Jake some of my craft paint so he could paint it. And voila! Jake's first derby car came to life. Of course we needed a weight kit. So...off to the scouting store we went the day before weigh in for that. Fortunately Jared's office has a postal scale. Jared got it right at 5.0 ounces. And lucky for us, at the official weigh in, it was still 5.0 ounces. We passed. Now would it make it across the finish line?




Sadly, Jared worked his first shift at the urgent care the night of the pack meeting, so it was just me and the kids and the video camera. I packed Karcyn in the stroller and took her and Cooper to find a seat near the finish line. I told Jake to go check in and do whatever he needed to do.

His first time down the track, he raced against his friend Adam from his school and Primary class. Jake's car did cross the finish line (a feat in and of itself according to Jared), but it wasn't first so he went straight to the "losers bracket". Right on cue, the red face and quivery chin commenced. The tears were forming, but managed not to spill over (thank goodness). I can't tell you HOW many times we prepped Jake for this. "Just have fun, Jake", "You may not win and that's okay", "You have to be a good loser and a good winner", "Be happy for the boy whose car beats yours", and on and on. Anyone who knows Jake knows he has a very tender heart. But clearly he still has the competitiveness of his dad!

While we were watching other races, and perhaps because they sensed Jake's apparent dejection, someone asked me if we had put graphite on the wheels. Do I look like someone who has graphite or knows how to use it? I think my response was "Graphite?" Apparently there was graphite at the check in station that you could put under the nails by the wheels to make them spin faster. Ahhhh..."I see" said the blind man. Jake's car was doomed from the beginning.

Well all was not lost. Bless his heart, some other guy in my ward took me up there and showed me how to do it and did it for me. (Thanks Andy). They must have felt really sorry for the big pregnant lady with two little kids and one emotional Wolf. And against all odds....Jake won the next three brackets! He got beat in the semi-finals by his friend Trevor also from school and Primary. I still cannot believe he took 4th place overall. Not too shabby for his first time. Beginner's luck? Maybe. The goodness of graphite? Quite possibly. Jake doesn't really care. But thank you to everyone who helped us get through this experience. At least we have another year before we have to do it again.

1 comment:

Kim-the-girl said...

Congrats to Jake! I was SO surprised at our FG Elder's Quorum derby what everyone puts into their cars...Bishop Stoddard was a pro of all pros. It was amazing...