Monday, October 1, 2018

Elder Jake Hough, 10.1.18--week 10


PRESS. FORWARD. WITH A STEADFASTNESS IN CHRIST. HAVING A PERFECT BRIGHTNESS OF HOPE. WITH A LOVE OF GOD AND OF ALL MEN.

Never before has this scripture found in the 31st chapter of 2nd Nephi meant more to me than right now. I got here to Hungary last monday, and I was loving it!! I was on cloud nine, not sure what to think, and the next day I was with my comp, Peery Elder, such a STUD I lvoe him so much. We Get along great, but we are the youngest companionship out, he is just 10 weeks in and I am literaly 1 in. So we have a challenge ahead but Pres Hettuinger said that he trusts us and the Lord trusts us to kill it in our area, and we will! 

We are in a small city called Tatabánya, (northwest of Buda) and it reminds me of college station, but it is really small, and the houses are sma,l and run down, more than I thought, and it is a humbling sight to be here each and every day. But I will be honest to everyone, I was doing great getting  by not understanding everyone we talked to on the streests and taught and the members and all that unitl Sunday morning, it hit me. I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I AM DOING. I am in Europe, speaking one of the Hardest languages in the world, with a persoin I just met, and in a place where I dont know if the people I tak to are saying you are nice or I want to kill you haha. It was a moment of complete overwhelming stress, and I literally starting to freak out internally, because I only want to serve and do good to this people, and I cannot do that without knowing the language, so I got on my knees, and I prayed, and I cried. I did. I cried of frustration and despair becuase I have no idea what I should be doing, All I can do is smile say hi, and bear testimony. And After that I had a good talk with my comp and from then until now I have been really leaning if not laying on the Atonement of Jesus Christ to carry me through this, and I heard two things come to me as I was thinking the last couple days. "God breaks us down, to build us up 100 times stronger", and from Elder Anderson of the 12 (Apostles) "You may not know everything, but you know enough", and a quute from my mom "I asked God why are you taking me through such deep waters? He said, "because your enemies cannot swim.""

I Amstruggling, but I am thriving on the spirit of missionary wrok. I know everything I am experiencing is for my good, and I need it, and I will grow from this. I am already doing better but it is a process. I love you all, and encourage you to plead with all the energy of soul to Father in Heaven for things you need, and he will support you. 

Love yall!!
Hough elder

(Some other interesting tidbits from his quick letters to me and Jared this week).
I literally only get 1-2 hours most to respnd and read emails in this area and the best place to do it is in győr, an hour train ride from my first city, tatabánya. (Even still...) the computer shuts off, its in Hungarian! I had a hard time getting onto this computer to email cause I had no idea what the librarian was saying, but I got through it with help. I do not like how helpless I am and vulnerable when people talk to me, but I am really trying to trust that the language will come. (Because of Jake's limited time to read and reply to emails--the Mission President wants them super focused--there are a few pictures, but no captions. But I'm grateful for pictures!)
Where we are we have 12 members in church, I obviously play piano in sacrament and they love it, and we have one progressing investigator who is struggling to overcome sins, and we teach her the plan of happiness today. 
I learned though that though there are 5000 memebers in Hungary, only 800 are actively attending. That is a daungting amount of inactivity.
It is pretty cold. Winter is coming and I dont have a coat, but the thermal [underwear] has saved my BUTT. For real they have, and we are getting a coat if we can today, a scarf and gloves. (Jake had a really nice multilayered coat that we bought for him that he took to the MTC. But there was a German elder who needed it more than he did, so Jake sold it to him for very, very little. And consequently went to Hungary without anything to keep him warm. Kind of reminds me of this clip that has always been a family favorite. How can we be mad at him for helping another? Yay for thermal underwear, but this mama will feel much better once he has a coat again!)
I love tatabánya, it has some really poor areas, most of it is poor, and the buildings are shambles and it is honestly a 3rd world european country, very humbling, but there are people that need this gospel, and I am here for them not for me. 

No comments: