Tuesday, September 25, 2018

update on Elder Jake Hough, 9.25.18--week 9

"I'm so excited to be leaving. It is what Heavenly Father needs me doing right now and I have had a personal witness of that fact, so do not worry about me! I am in the Lord's hands, the safest in the universe!" ~Hough Elder

Jake left the Missionary Training Center in Utah, yesterday morning. Somehow, as is his special luck, he was pulled aside and had to go through an intense security check--at the Salt Lake City airport of all places. As if they've never seen a clean cut young man in a suit and tie before. ?? They patted down his tie among other things and went through his carry-on bag--all 35 pounds of it. (He got "pegged" in the College Station Airport, also, when he was flying to Utah. They had to pat him down all over and they unpacked his entire carry on and then, once they deemed it okay, they made HIM put it all back in, causing Jake to be one of the last passengers to board and a little bit frazzled. Poor guy.)  Maybe the security check yesterday wouldn't have been such a big deal, except he lost about 30 minutes of time to call home because of it. But by some miracle, there was a delay in their flight to Amsterdam and we got about that much time back to talk to each other before he left.

When Jake first called, I told him call Cooper at school. Coop had mentioned to his 4th, 5th and 6th period teachers that his brother, who he hadn't talked to in 2 months, was getting ready to fly to Hungary for two years and was able to call briefly before he left. They were all pretty understanding about that. Wouldn't you know that Jake called at the end of Cooper's German class in 6th period, taught by a wonderful teacher who attends the College Station 3rd ward--the ward we used to live in. :) I was touched when he told me what she said. Cooper approached her before class saying that his brother might be calling before he leaves the country on his mission and before he could say another word, Frau Allen put up her hand and said, "Say no more. When the call comes in you just point to your phone and go right outside to take that call."

Because of the flight delay, Jake was able to talk to Jared at work and then again back at home with me. He actually caught JJ after school and I drove to the bus stop where Karcyn and Calvin would be dropped off so he could catch them, too. Jake was just minutes from boarding. It would be close! I couldn't believe the blessing of being able to connect Jake with his younger siblings. I certainly didn't anticipate that happening! Karcyn got off (while trying to manage and balance a big broken binder full of books and folders and her viola) and got into the car. But there was no Calvin. When I asked her where he was, she said she didn't know and didn't see him on the bus. Ahhh!! I gave the phone to her to talk to Jake as I drove her home while looking for Calvin at the previous bus stops.

As we got closer to the house, I finally had to say goodbye to Jake--he was steps away from the gangway and I had to find Calvin. Jake was SO bummed he couldn't talk to his little buddy. (Turns out when I pulled in the driveway with Karcyn, Calvin was calling. He thought I was substituting that day and was going to pick him up. Ohhhh. Darn it, darn it!! I had thought about working until I learned Jake was leaving that day and got out of it. Poor kid. So I drove to go pick him up feeling terrible about the misunderstanding and that he was the only family member who didn't get to talk to Jake--which he actually took in good stride.)

I wanted to share one thing that Jake mentioned in our call yesterday. I'm a little worried about him going to the mission field, fresh out of the MTC, ready to rock 'n roll and being with a companion who is tired, burned out and has lost their excitement and motivation, settling instead for being cynical. I don't want Jake to EVER become cynical and told him to please pray against those discouraging thoughts and to not let anyone make him feel that way. To that, Jake responded that he's already decided there are THREE things he's going to tell every companion he gets, regardless of where those other young men are on their mission journey. 

1) I'm so happy to be here and I'm going to work hard.
2) We're not talking bad about anyone, especially other missionaries.
3) I love you and can't wait to get to know you better as we preach the gospel together.

I just received these "Proof of Life" pictures from Sister Hettinger, wife of the mission president. 
And I wept tears of joy when I saw them! Jake and his "older big sisters" look fabulous!! I'm so grateful for their safe arrival and can't wait to hear how everything unfolds!
What a beautiful city! What a wonderful work!

This is it. This is what Jake's been planning his whole life for. And this has been my mission--to raise a missionary ready to hit the ground running in whatever field of labor the Lord needs him. 

No comments: