Friday, November 14, 2008

This is "Soup"-er!

I was browsing around my friend Sara's hot food blog at http://www.ourbestbites.com/ and found a recipe for Italian Turkey Soup (November 3rd post). I quickly scanned the ingredients list and inwardly groaned when I saw it called for ground turkey. I used ground turkey once several years ago and it was a huge turn off. Haven't used it since, in fact. But I trust Sara and the picture looked yummy. It also seemed cost effective as well as easy to throw together, so I decided to try it.

I am soooo glad I did! Jared and I are back to tracking Weight Watcher points with our food and the main draw to me at first was that it seemed to be a point friendly soup. It wasn't until I actually started making it that I got MORE excited about it. At best, it's 2.7 points PER 1 cup! I actually just rounded it to 3 points for convenience, but that's STILL good in the world of points--especially when some of us can only have 20 points a day. Even more delightful is that this soup actually has flavor. Some low calorie/low fat soups are so bland you really have to strain to find the flavor and by the last bite you've convinced yourself there was flavor when really there wasn't. So this soup is now going to be a regular meal in our home. With lean turkey, onion, garlic, tomatoes, white beans, & spinach you know it's good even if you aren't doing Weight Watchers.

My two cents: it wasn't in my financial budget to buy fresh Parmesan cheese so I left it out, but no one in my family knew differently. I wasn't sure when I was going to make it, so I instead of fresh spinach, I used a box of frozen chopped spinach with the excess water squeezed out. This works well for being able to store all the ingredients at home for a quick, last minute dinner idea. I hope you like it as much as our family does.

Thanks, Sara, for a great recipe.

1 comment:

Sara @ Our Best Bites said...

I'm glad you like it! It's one of our favorite "go-to" meals because I usually have everything on hand. Good for you for doing weight watchers- I have to wait until after the holidays to do that kind of stuff! lol