Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Grandma and Grandpa!

My parents showed up in their 36 foot fifth wheel rig about 20 minutes after we got home from Stake Conference Sunday afternoon, October 26th. This was a long awaited visit. We were expecting them about 3 weeks earlier but they had some unforeseen trailer issues that delayed them in Ogden, UT. I don't know what we were so excited about. (Just kidding, Mom & Dad!)Truly, though, this is the most we've ever seen them in one calendar year. We saw them in March for Jake's baptism, in May when Calvin was born, in August when we visited them in Alaska and again the end of October. But we'll take them as much as they can tolerate us. I think my dad was warned in High Priests that if he stayed one more Sunday they'd give him a calling. Even the ward is starting to recognize them!
However, this was a different visit. They hauled a little house with them. After they arrived and stretched a bit, we drove them to our friends', the Winkels, who were so kind to allow my parents to park their rig on their property indefinitely because it just isn't doable here in the subdivision. Parking the trailer was a tricky maneuver but we all held our mouths just right and with the help of Brother Winkel, the trailer was parked and leveled. Jared and I took the kids back home to start making dinner and then my parents came along later in just their truck. Then after they ate, my parents left! They just walked out the door and said goodbye. It was so weird. But our departure was only temporary. They weren't spending the night with us and it was definitely different--to have them just come and go. We've never ever lived NEAR family. We either lived WITH them or MANY states away from them. The separate living quarters was good in some ways...good for our dignity so they weren't subjected to our frustrating moments as parents. Even better for them to have their own little space...not having to live out of suitcases. Yuck. No one likes that. We started to catch on to the close proximity because we even took them dinner one night so we could hang out at their "house." It was way cool. They have a nice little set up.



Jared and I decided we're ready to retire!! (Too bad we've just joined the employment club and have 28 years to go in paying back those student loans).

1 comment:

Heather E. said...

That is awesome! I wish we saw my parents that often in one calendar year....we are lucky to get to see them twice. Anyway, tell your parents hi for me. My parents have a 55 foot motorhome and my kids think it is the best as well. I am happy to see/hear your parents are doing swell!