Sunday, August 17, 2008

Alaska: Day 4

On Saturday after breakfast, we broke down camp, jump started the van's dead battery and left Loon Lake around 10:30am. About 10 minutes down the road, it started raining. Perfect timing. I just smiled. It rained all the way home.

When we got back to my parents' house, we had a lot to do. First we had to unload the camper and van, then we had to bathe the kids and ourselves before tackling several loads of laundry. Jared and Dad had to get a few more camping items for when Jared's parents joined us later in the week. Not to mention we had to get the camper restocked and ready for Jared and our dads to go to Ninilchik (on the Kenai) for their halibut charters on Monday and Tuesday. They'd be leaving bright and early Monday morning and so that meant having to be prepared and ready to go on Saturday. It was a whirlwind, but we got it all done.

Saturday was supposed to be another running day for me, but I was just plum tuckered out. It was the first day I've missed since I started. I was hoping it wouldn't happen, but Jared assured me my body wouldn't forget how to run 5 miles.

I forgot to mention this, but I did run a couple miles on Wednesday, our first night here. It was about 9:30pm and there was plenty of daylight. I wasn't the least bit worried about being assaulted by a human being. However, about a mile from home as I was running past some heavily wooded areas, I realized that it wasn't people I should worry about, but the animals! I began to be keenly aware of the fact that I could very possibly startle a moose or a bear which have been known to roam these parts. There's been a lot of bear maulings, too this summer. So I left the sidewalk and ran in the street to put more distance between me and the woods. Then it occurred to me that my heavy breathing and wheezing was probably adequate enough to scare off any wild beast. That's your best defense from ever running into a moose or bear...make lots of noise.

No comments: