Sunday, August 10, 2008

Alaska: Day 1

Wednesday, August 6th was the day we did our Alaskan musts: a session at the Anchorage Temple for the adults and a picnic at Lake Hood with the whole fam.
My parents had arranged for a babysitter for the kids and made an appointment for the four of us at the 10am endowment session at the temple. (At smaller temples, you actually make appointments because the temple is only open on certain days at certain times.) We had a wonderful experience. This was the first time in about 6 months I've been able to attend the temple since the tail end of my pregnancy. Secondly, this is a very special temple to me. I was here in Alaska in 1995 when our prophet President Hinckley told us we needed to do more missionary work before we could have a temple in our midst. Then just 2 years later, the prophet announced his inspiration to build smaller temples, one of the first sites being in Anchorage. And just 2 years after that, I was given a ticket to attend the cornerstone dedication and sat in the sealing room adjacent to the Celestial room where the prophet himself stood as he dedicated this Holy House to the Lord. This temple is a real miracle to me and my family and it's such an honor to be able to attend it, even if I have to pack an extra bag to bring my own temple clothes.




Our second Alaskan tradition is having a picnic (of the McDonald's variety) at Lake Hood. Lake Hood is located right by the Anchorage International airport and is the world's largest and busiest seaplane base. I think I read that there are an average of 190 flights per day, making for a great show. I'm not sure who loves it more, the big kids or the little kids. I love watching the float planes take off. My dad is a retired pilot and just loves planes. Here's some pictures of our fun.


(Karcyn was asleep in the van, Calvin was being cuddled by Grandma.)

Taking off right over our heads.


Look how close we are to the planes!


Cooper thought it would be fun to race the planes as they came in for landings.


Notice the weather? Absolutely gorgeous. From what we've heard, it was one of the few clear days with sunshine all summer long. Alaska is much like Oregon in that you just can't plan your life or activities around the weather. But we were totally aware of the beautiful day and soaked it up! Fun times!

2 comments:

Kim-the-girl said...

It looks absolutely fabulous! I'm planning my trip to AK soon, I just have to get up there. Thanks for sharing, can't wait to see more.

Jen said...

What a treat to go to the temple with your family. You have had some really neat experiences--thanks for sharing. Can we come along next time you go to Alaska? It looks wonderful.