Monday, April 15, 2019

Elder Jake Hough, 4.15.19--week 38


EAT YOUR HEART OUT (Or in my case, Play my organ(s) out!)

[This email will be a bit different trying something out. Let my sweet mother know what yall think about it, if its better or worse. (See attached file at bottom assuming the aforementioned mother can get it to work properly!)]


Alright. You heard me say it already:

SZZZZZZIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIAAAASZTOK AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGIIIIIEEEEEEEEESSSSS!!

This week was a crazy one! From recovering from the news of the temple to traveling to budapest a day early and then Zone Conference on Wednesday with a training to exchanges with a neighboring city of Elders to District Conference yesterday huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuUUUH (Deep breath), it was a lot. Lets start from the top!

We ended up going to Zone Conference a day early to pick up our good friend Peery Elder from the airport when he returned, but upon arriving in Budapest my companion realized that his drivers license expired not 1 year ago, not 1 month ago, but 3 days ago...weeeeeell shoot. So we couldnt go get him, and then when he didnt show up at 3 like he should have, we had the thought oh CRUD he doesnt know he can take a taxi!! So we rushed around trying to figure out what to do to let him know we were coming, trying to weigh the sides if he was smart enough to start on his way or not because that would not be good to get there and he had left for the mission home already...in the midst of the struggling we said a prayer, and then we realized that President Hettinger had misread the schedule and the plane wasnt to land until 5:45 pm...which meant he wouldnt be there with us until 7....well. huge relief! But we also ended up sitting around doing what we could to help (I called apartments and tried setting up with them so that I may find a living place for the other elders in some areas), and just overall we tried stay out from under foot. It worked pretty well.

Zone Conference went great! It was funny because we had planned for 45 min training, and then we blew through our material for those 45 minutes in 20 nimutes...and we had the companionships talk for a bit and then we convened together for that talk time and we were like "uuuuuuuuhhh what do we do now??" We looke at each other, figured it would go well enough by talking aobut some more topics, and ended up going over the time we were given haha! Super funny, but the training was good, I got stuff from it and I hope the other missionaries did as well.

Because of district conference (basically stake conference for this area of Hungary), they didnt know for sure if their pianist would show up, more like organist. So they came to me and gave me the hymns and told me to have them down in the event the organist didnt get back from germany in time...uuuuhhhhhhh great! I have to teach myself the Organ now haha suuuuPER! I was really a bit nervous cause anyone who has ever played piano and then tried to make the switch to the organ knows how hard it is. But I saddle up, "girded up my loins" and set to work while my comps figured out what to do for some of the contacts we had to make with returning investigators. I sat on that bench and played those keyboards-keyboards-for about 3 hours. It was insanity. But I got the hymns to where I would be able to play with the base keyboard in my feet well enough. I felt super good, super accompliushed, and super tired haha! I also may have almost fallen off the bench a couple of times because of hw slippery and well dusted it was. But then again maybe not.

We attended a funeral last monday for a members mother, and we spent hours, HOURS trying to find the place in this MASSIVE cemetery. But we finally found them in the far back corner. As we looked at the cold cut stones with names engraved on them, some just piles of dirt due to the poverty of the people who put it there, I stopped in my minds eye to reflect on just how short life is. Most of the people that were there resting in their graves only lived to 73 years on average. And most if not ALL of those people lying in those cold containers, had not once heard the gospel in their mortal lives. It made me SO grateful for the blessings of the gospel, for a loving family, who supports me, and for the gospel being taught to me by such loving parents who did all they could to raise me in righteousness. How grateful I am for them. And for the life that I have to serve others and gain a greater testimony of my savior Jesus Christ. 

That's All, Folks!
Szeretlek Benneteket!

Hough Elder


Email story Miskolc 4.14.19

No comments: