Sunday, September 15, 2013

Karcyn's prayer

Last Sunday morning, Karcyn got sick. In the past, Jared and I would alternate who stays home with sick kids, but since Jared's in the bishopric, that means, I stay home. I teach the 15-turning-16-year olds in Sunday School, so I had to scramble to find a substitute at the last minute. The lesson was more of a student-led discussion that day so it wasn't going to be too difficult or overwhelming. Lucky for me, I was able to secure a future missionary who leaves within the month for Paraguay. I thought it would be good missionary prep for him :)  I also needed to find out if the McCulloughs were going to be in church and if they were up to watching our entire boy crew for us. I dont' know who I'm kidding because that's what they do every week! Fortunately they were up to the challenge, which meant the other kids could go to church as well--which was really good since Calvin was giving the talk in Junior Primary! (Wes has always helped our kids with their Primary talks since Jared and I are unavailable second hour). And finally, Jared was going to be in a very important meeting almost up until the start of church so I needed to see if the McCulloughs could swing by and take the kids in our burb as well and they could. Phew. Arrangements done. Thank goodness for church at 1pm.

A quarter past noon, I was surprised to see Jared walk through the door to the house. He said he felt like he might be sick. Oh boy. He went straight to our room and I didn't see him for quite a while.

I had the kids ready and waiting for the McCulloughs who came a few minutes later to pick up the crew. I helped load the kiddos and wished them the best! (The McCulloughs, not the kids!)

Poor Karcyn was bored of resting. In the first hour the kids were gone she went from the rocker, to the living room couch, to the family room couch to a different couch in the living room. I sat at the dining room table and worked on catching up in my journal.

She came over and let out a huge sigh. "I hate being sick." I told her it stinks for sure.

She waited a few seconds and then announced, "I'm going to go pray."

I asked, "What are you going to pray for?"

"Ohhhh...that God will make me feel better."

I told her I thought that was a great idea and inside my mommy heart was melting that she would think, all on her own, to turn to our greatest source of peace and comfort--our Heavenly Father.

She left the table and walked into the living room, kneeling down by the far couch. With her head bowed, I could barely make out her words, but she said, "Dear Heavenly Father, please help me not to be sick anymore. And thank you for all of our blessings and I hope everyone else had a good time at church. In the name of Jesus Christ, amen."

No comments: