Monday, September 2, 2013

Eating leftovers and words

On the way home from our camping trip last week, we stopped to get some fast food for lunch. Jake got a mongo burger and mongo fries to go with it. I had some chicken nuggets to share with JJ. Jake polished off his burger lickety split but he was sweet enough to share his fries with JJ. JJ ate two or three nuggets and I saved three more for him since he was still working on one at the moment. Jake wanted to know if there were any nuggets left. Since Jake is a bottomless pit and he shared his fries with JJ, I figured he could have a couple of the nuggets while they were still partially warm (although now that I think about it, it wouldn't make any difference to Jake if the nuggets were cold).

I handed the box to Jake and said, "There are three left. You can have two, JJ gets the other one." A couple minutes later, Jake hands the box back to me to put in the garbage. Casually, I asked, "You gave one to JJ right?" He said "yeah." I didn't see it on JJ's car seat or near him so I asked again, "You gave JJ one of those nuggets?" Jake had to think about it for a minute. He said, "Uhhh, no, I thought the one in his hand was the one he was getting." Good grief. Jared and I had a hay day with that one and joked around with him.

"Really, Jake? What part of 'JJ gets one and you can have the other two' don't you get??"  (Wooo doggie. Jake's a great kid, but that teenage brain, mostly just in the last six months for us, is something else!) When it comes to food, Jake's stomach seems to take over and his brain shuts off :)

Jared and I decided we need to have him "repeat after me" whenever we give instructions. Maybe that will help. Maybe not.

Today, for lunch, we had leftovers...shepherd's pie that Jake made for dinner last night and that everyone (except Coop and Calvin) enjoyed, as well as 8 slices of pepperoni pizza from my Sunday School class party Saturday evening.

Jared and I had some shepherd's pie while Jake and Cooper each had two slices, their allotted amount, of pizza. Calvin also had a slice of pizza. Karcyn was reading in the dining room and JJ was "napping" so we still needed some lunch for them.

Jared went on a 37 mile bike ride this morning and was starving. He asked me if he could finish off the shepherd's pie and I said sure. When I took my bowl to the sink, I assessed the pizza situation. There were only two slices left. There should have been at least one more. We questioned the boys. Coop only had two, Calvin only had one and there was Jake standing near the microwave with his hand on it. He looked at us innocently and said, "I was just warming up another slice." Sure you were. I confiscated it from him. Jared said, "Dude! Your sister still hasn't eaten yet."

Jake countered, "She probably won't even want pizza." We busted up laughing.

Jared answered. "Are you serious? In this house? Give me a break. Who wouldn't want pizza for lunch?"

We called Karcyn in to get some lunch before it became a Hough version of survival of the fittest.

As Karcyn came in I asked her, "What would you like to have for lunch, Sweetie?"

She thought for a second and said, "Um, I want what we had for dinner last night."

Jake slammed the counter with his hand and shouted, "HA!!! I told you!!"

Then Jared said, rather sheepishly, "Uh, oops. I ate it all. Sorry, Sis." Then he quickly added for Jake's benefit, "That still doesn't mean you get a third piece." Today, Jared got to eat leftovers and his words :)

And just so we don't all feel badly for Karcyn, Jared actually had a little bit of shepherd's pie in his bowl and offered it to Karcyn. We told her she could have a slice of pizza after that if she was still hungry, and that's what she did.

1 comment:

Kim-the-girl said...

Ah, teenage attitude. I don't even want to think about how much we're in for it in a couple years... I mean, if Jake is giving you guys a hard time, YIKES! We are in trouble. :)