Saturday, September 19, 2009

Run, run as fast as you can!

Today marked our FOURTH annual 5K run in Forest Grove. The Lion's Club and the optometry program put on the "Run for Sight" each year and we've been doing it as a family or couple since 2006. This year, because Jared was preparing for his 175 mile coastal bike ride with the young men in July, he had to forgo running the race but Jake wanted to give it a try. Jake ran a couple of 1 mile sessions on the treadmill and he and I ran around the neighborhood 3 times and only once did we do 3.2 miles. He ran it in 35 minutes and left me in his dust. I had this silly idea that he might not be able to keep up with me. After that I realized he didn't really need me to run it with him.

Here are the kiddos minus Calvin before the race. Karcyn is sporting my shirt.


Jake, Stephanie and I headed to the starting line around 8:50am while Jared took the other kids to 22nd Avenue to wait for us to pass.

I had to ask Jared about this picture. I guess Calvin got mad when Jared put him down and decided to lay down on the path. That doesn't even look comfortable.

When the alarm sounded for us to start, I told Jake "go, Jake! Run!" We were near the front and I didn't want him getting trampled. Gosh, we hadn't made it halfway down that street when I lost sight of him. He just took off! He was so quick, Jared wasn't expecting him and got a blurry shot. At least he's smiling. Jared and Jacob (Steph's hubby) were afraid Jake came out waaaay too fast and that he'd tank shortly after.


Stephanie passed me before we left that street too. That's also when the token jogging stroller passed me as well. Yup, everyone and everything passes Jenn.


And this is Jake coming back down 22nd Avenue, still running strong.


And he's still smiling. How come he doesn't look tired? Or sweaty?

And there's Steph. I heard she and Jake had a fight for the finish. And Jake beat her :)


And here comes Jenn, the running caboose. Very tired and very sweaty!


And wondering why the heck I put myself through this year after year?!


Here we are after catching our breath, those of us who needed to, waiting for the awards. It also started to rain, but that felt good.


Yay for Jake! He took first place for his age group (0-13 years)! Time: 29:49? (He thought it was 30:03 but Steph later found out she came in at 29:50 and he barely beat her)--Very impressive. I'm glad he doesn't get his running from me. I couldn't run a mile in college.


Yay for Steph! She took 2nd place for our age group!! (This is her second, 2nd place ribbon 2 years in a row!) Time: 29:50


Go ME!! I got third place in our age group (30-34). My first ribbon for anything physical! (And yeeehss, there were ONLY 3 of us in that group running this year. But so what?) Time: 32:50. I just looked back and saw my time last year was 32:48. You can't get much more consistent than that.


It's going to be hard to beat this year's run with ribbons!

4 comments:

runningfan said...

Ah, mother-son running -- my dream! Maybe someday!

Kim-the-girl said...

First of all, I CAN NOT believe how grown up Jake looks!!!! How long have I been gone?!?!?! That is awesome that you both did the race. Last year I did a race with my kids, I had Levi and Bryant in the stroller and Eliza on my back, Jonas ran the whole way. It was really fun to have them all get out and race to the finish line. You are amazing! I love seeing you and Steph doing so well! I miss you guys so much!!!

Paul and Shelly said...

GO JAKE GO!! and you too of course! He is so big...my baby...

Jennifer said...

Wow, he is sure fast (as one who has never run before.) Congrats to both of you.