Tuesday, April 7, 2009

The sky is falling!

Like most people, I've been bitten by the spring cleaning bug. Actually I was bitten over a month ago, but until I got the Virgin production out of the way, I couldn't devote extra time to anything but that. So, once it was over, Spring Break was upon us, and I got started. I'm still not done of course, but I am feeling a smidge better than I was before.

This morning...it was my front picture window. We love our picture window. We don't have much of a view but it's large and new and double-paned :) I'm a little...obsessive...shall we say, when it comes to keeping it clean. And with all the rain and other matter getting whipped into it, it gets dirty a lot. Not to mention the plethora of finger prints that constantly outline the bottom of it on the inside. This morning, I decided I needed to take off the screens and use my new squeegee to see how well it worked.

I guess I wasn't the only one trying to get stuff done. It was a beautiful sunny morning and the neighborhood mower-guy was out cutting the community grass that goes along the path directly across the street from our house and further east to the playground. I actually wanted to do the windows with the morning sun shining through my front window because it helps me see what I missed when I clean it. The sun is a great proof-cleaner!

My picture window is in thirds, albeit not equal parts. We've got the large main window in the middle that is stationery. Then we have two "smaller" windows that flank both sides. They are sliders and are the ones with the screens on them to keep those pesky bugs out. I started with the big window. I cleaned it inside and out. The squeegee worked really well...hardly any streaks that the paper towel and window-cleaning cloth both leave behind. It was looking almost as clean as the day it was put in when I moved on to the first screened window. Looking at my house, it's the slider to the left. I cleaned it on the inside and then on the outside.

As I was inspecting my work and almost ready to put the screen back on, something WHACKED my window right above me, SMACKED me right on top of my head and then ricocheted onto the patio. I screamed of course, jumping back from the unexpected and frantically brushed the top of my recently showered hair hoping to rid it of any foreign debris. What the heck?? I heard the mower-guy right behind me. He was directly across the street. Maybe he inadvertently launched something at me with the mower blades. I turned to look at him. He had headphones on. But he was looking at me. Probably wondering what my problem was as I was screaming and doing the jig.

And then I saw the feathers fluttering to the ground. There, on the other side of my stool, lay a bird...although he was no crow, he was a decent sized thing for falling out of the sky and using my head to do it. Eck. The bird was still moving when I saw him on the ground. I, however, didn't care to stick around the scene to see if more birds were going to make an appearance. I had the major willies and darted inside to make sure there were no bird parts of any kind stuck in my hair.

Tweety was dead when I got back a minute later. It was apparent where he hit my FRESHLY CLEANED picture window too. It was kind of hard not to notice. It was the round smudge about 5 inches above where I stood surrounded by little feathers.

I still can't figure out what happened. I suppose it's probably silly to suspect the mower-guy. Though maybe the bird was in the grass and it scared him and like my daughter ran, I mean flew, into the window because he wasn't watching where he was going. Or...maybe Windex really does work with its streak-free shine that even the birds can't tell a difference.

Here is Tweety at his untimely death.

1 comment:

JandS Morgan said...

Wow, you are lucky it wasn't bigger. I've heard of people getting hit by hawks doing the same thing and getting hurt pretty bad. My grandma had a hawk hit there front window and the state wouldn't even let her keep it to show her class, something about it being endangered. Weird, since it was DEAD! Last week when I was running down the factory road I saw something drop right in front of my face. I figured I had narrowly missed some bird droppings by half a second. I constantly think I need to be careful to not run under the powerlines in that area.