Tuesday, April 7, 2009

It's another GIRL!

Ha! Ha! Made you look!!

This girl is of the feline variety. We adopted her on March 30th and happily welcome her into our home.

Meet Madras.

Yes, Madras. We didn't name her and I'm actually glad she already came with a name. I wasn't wanting to duke it out with the kids on the matter. Karcyn calls her Madi for short. She is a medium haired domestic kitty. And PURR-FECT for our family. We saw her, but were drawn to some other kitties first. Fortunately the volunteer that does the adoptions knew the cats VERY well and I think Madras was made for us. Personally, I wanted a younger, smaller kitten (she's 8 months old) and one that was short haired. But I told Jared, "She'll probably be a lot like our house. She's not what I expected but I'm sure I'll love her."


How 'bout that squirrel tail?

She is THE best kitten. She's still playful with kitty toys and when we hear her meow, which isn't much, it's still that high pitched kitten meow. And she is an ANGEL with our kids. She puts up with everything. A real trooper. Nothing seems to bother her. She doesn't like Karcyn chasing her (and Karcyn has the advantage there since Madras can't get any grip on our hard floors) but she just runs off. She doesn't swipe, she doesn't meow, she doesn't bite or hiss. If you have a lap, she'll sit on it. Actually, she'll sit anywhere, on your face, chest, whatever she can get to. She is so laid back and sweet. You may notice in the picture below that Karcyn has a grip on one of the cat's hind legs. Does Madras care? Not one bit. We made Karcyn stop of course. She's learning to be soft and gentle. Overall, I think Karcyn's doing pretty good with the transition. Madras is a dream in that regard. Calvin just loves having another someone on all fours like him. Jake and Cooper love her as well. She seems like a natural fit for us.


Madras sleeps with Cooper on the bottom bunk or with us or under the crib. One night Karcyn was having trouble sleeping. So we took Madras in and put her on Karcyn's bed. Karcyn wrapped her arms around Madras and we didn't hear her after that. A little while later, Madras emerged and Karcyn was sound asleep. It really doesn't get much better than that!

Oh and in case you're wondering, my mom told me that madras is a type of Indian fabric or material. That was news to me. So I googled it. Then I saw several links for Madras, Oregon. DUH! It's in central Oregon but how many times have I seen the temperature for Madras listed above Bend on the weather map? Um, lots. I'm willing to bet that's how Madras got her name.

1 comment:

JandS Morgan said...

Pretty kitty, I can't wait to meet her. I've gotten so used to my cats stubby tails that it is nice to see a full tail sometimes.