Sunday, December 7, 2008

A themed Halloween

We've never had a theme for Halloween before. We're pretty uncreative and inartistic that way. Cooper was going to recycle a Darth Vader costume we've had for a couple years. I found an inexpensive giraffe costume that I thought Karcyn would be cute in. And Calvin had a glow-in-the-dark skeleton costume we inherited that was his size. We needed something for Jake though. We couldn't find anything he liked that was cool enough and that I liked in our price range. However, I don't mind spending more on a costume one year, if that child agrees to wear it for the next 2-3 years. But it still seemed like slim pickin's. We finally settled on a Clone Trooper costume for Jake. It was on the high end of our budget, but it was a size too big so hopefully he could wear it again next year.

A few days later, out of the blue, my friend Amanda sent me a couple of FYI postings off of Craig's List. One was for a Luke Skywalker costume Jake's size and the other was for an infant Yoda costume. How could I NOT get the Yoda costume for my baby who has often reminded me of that very creature? The Skywalker costume was a fraction of the cost of the Clone Trooper costume albeit not as cool. So I told Jake that if we returned the Trooper costume and he was Luke Skywalker instead, I would get him a new light saber as an accessory (and still be money ahead). Jake agreed. I was the first one to respond to both Craig's List postings on the costumes and I was sooooooo excited. All my boys were sporting Star Wars this year. I thanked Amanda for her thoughtfulness for remembering how much my boys love Star Wars. I jokingly told her, "too bad I can't find a Leia costume for Karcyn." Next thing I know, Amanda got on eBay and found several Leia costumes in Karcyn's size available for purchase.

I know nothing about eBay--only that it seems waaay too complicated for me to sell or buy so I avoid it. Amanda is a seasoned eBayer and offered to put a bid in for me and viola! We got ourselves a Princess Leia costume for our own little princess. It was lots of fun to have the theme this year and though I could never get a good picture of all the kids together, we owe all our themed Halloween success to Amanda!

It was the WARMEST Halloween that I can ever remember! What a great night. It didn't take long for Karcyn to pick up on the trick or treating concept. "If I look cute and flash a smile and say 'ick o tweet', these people give me candy." She went around a couple times! (And yes, we know that historically Leia was never armed with a light saber!)



Grandma and Grandpa Lee with their little Yoda.

The night was even more special for Jake and Coop who were invited back to Grandma and Grandpa's trailer for the night. What's cooler than spending the night with grandparents and playing video games with them??


2 comments:

Kendra Goodrich said...

So cute!!! I only saw your little yoda and princess Leiha.

Amander said...

It was nothing! They look awesome!