Friday, December 19, 2008

Eye can't see!!

It was date night tonight. On our way to dinner, Jared was fiddling with his eyes, rubbing them and blinking them several times quickly. He told me that something weird was going on with his eyes.

Jared usually wears contacts. But Tuesday he woke up with a pink eye infection he got from the urgent care on Monday. So he took his contacts out and started using his glasses. He still had them on tonight and was still giving himself the medicine.

He told me that with his glasses on, the vision in his left eye is blurry. This eye was the one that was infected first. But his right eye could see clearly. Yet when he took his glasses off, his left eye could see perfectly and his right eye was blurry. He was so stumped by this new, IMPROVED vision in his left eye (that he hasn't had since he started college...years ago...) that he gave himself a vision test at the office where you cover one eye and try to read the letters in each row, then switch eyes and repeat. Amazingly, he was seeing with 20/20 vision out of his left eye. He couldn't believe it. His right eye was his normal bad sight. What was going on?

We pulled into the parking lot of the eatery and sat discussing this a little further. I told him this situation had to be frustrating, seeing blurry with one eye and clear with another--with glasses and without. That would drive me nuts. I suggested he might want to call our optometrist because I had no answers for him. Except that maybe it was like "Phenomenon" and he had a brain tumor or something.

As we sat in the parking lot, he took off his glasses again, squeezed his right eye closed and without hesitation, started reading signs from quite a distance. Then he looked through only his right eye and the same task wasn't possible. It really was....weird.

Jared thought maybe he might try just wearing one contact in the right eye tomorrow because his left eye was just fine. A few seconds later, Jared mused, "It's like I'm wearing a contact in my left eye."

*crickets*

I tilted my head at him and asked, "Are you?"

Without saying anything, Jared gently prodded around his left eye and about 10 seconds later, produced a small, clear, flimsy lens that sat on the tip of his forefinger. Well, whatdaya know?

"You had a contact in this whole time??"

Jared just sat there staring at the lens and then realization struck. "You know what happened? Sunday night, after my nap, I woke up and was rubbing my eyes, trying to focus. I saw my left contact fall and couldn't find it. Since it was almost time to change them anyway, I just took the right contact out and put new ones in both eyes."

I doubled over in a burst of laughter. He had a contact in the left eye the WHOLE TIME!!

But it gets better...

So then on Tuesday, he woke up with some gunk in his left eye and assumed he had a pink eye infection from being at the urgent care the day before. (Maybe he did, maybe he didn't...) So he took his contacts out...ONE from EACH eye, started wearing his glasses and taking the eye drops. But "clearly" he took only 1 of the 2 contacts out of the left eye. Oh my lands! Too funny.

It never dawned on him til tonight that he still had a contact in because he swore he had seen it fall. Now that it's out, he has unobstructed vision out of both eyes. Imagine that.

So now Jared feels like a royal idiot and I have to say, it's going to be hard to beat that one. But I'm certainly grateful for the blog fodder. Thanks, Jare! Eye love you!

8 comments:

Nicole said...

That is the funniest story I've read in a long time! Thanks for giving us all a laugh, Jared!

Trisha said...

That is hilarious. At least he didn't go to the optometrist, then he really would have felt like an idiot. Danny has had people in that have done it before and he always comes home and tells me so I can have a good laugh.

jjcrew said...

Yeah we thought our optometry friends would get a kick out of that :)

Becky said...

That just made my day! Tell Jared THANKS!!

JandS Morgan said...

There are times my contacts fall out and I wish they were actually stuck in my eye somewhere. Lasik someday...

Karen said...

That is great!!! I'm glad there was a "simple" explanation for the improved vision!

Sara @ Our Best Bites said...

Oh my goodness that is sooo funny!

Jody said...

That is the funniest thing ever! I can't help but roll on the floor laughing.