Monday, December 29, 2008

The Problem with Kalamazoo

On Saturday, after a whirlwind of singing rehearsals, I went to Costco to get gas for the van. After I gave the attendant my card and he returned it to me, I rolled the window up most of the way and started singing to the music. All of a sudden there was a middle-aged lady with long gray hair approaching my window. She asked, "Are you on the phone?" I shook my head no and rolled the window down wondering what the heck she wanted with me.

She asked, "Are you from Michigan?" Somewhat startled by her question, I told her yes, we lived there about 6 years ago. Did I know this lady? She said she noticed we had the name "Plainwell" on the back of our van (because we purchased the van in Plainwell, MI). She said her husband was from Plainwell but they had lived in Grand Rapids for many years. I explained to her we lived in Kalamazoo for 2 years while my husband went to Western Michigan University.

She said that Kalamazoo was a lot different from Grand Rapids. "Oh??" I asked intrigued because I'd never been to Grand Rapids.

She emphatically said, "Oh yes." Then she leaned in towards my window as if she had a great secret to tell me and continued. "Kalamazoo is full of Christians, Christian fundamentalists, Conservatives..." then, while making an awful grimace with her face scrunched up she spat out, "and Republicans! Ewwwww." She shuddered like she just drank some horrible medicine.

All I could do was throw my head back in a forced laugh and take a sip of my water. She laughed with me not noticing my forced effort and then introduced herself and went back to her car in the next bay.

Poor lady. She hates Christians and Conservatives and Republicans so much but can't spot one when they're sitting right in front of her!

5 comments:

Lindsey said...

Haha...well I am all that she mentioned...so I don't think we would get along well!

JandS Morgan said...

Wow! Well, all I have to say is, we lived in Grand Rapids for 2 years and never encountered anyone like that. I'll have to tell my parents since they remember the area more than me. Amazing that she can say something that prejudiced to a perfect stranger. Makes you wonder how messed up her life must be.

BUIS LIFE... said...

Now that's funny!!

Jody said...

Oh my goodness... I would have had to tell her that she was speaking to one of those people.
Living in Oregon, its easy to assume that most people are not republicans. If only I could change that!

Cort said...

That's awesome. And I loved that you just boisterously laughed at the absurdity of it.