Monday, September 15, 2008

Butterflies...

Well, I've got less than 5 days before my 5K...my one time shot to better my running time from 2 years ago. I've been running since Calvin was 6 weeks old (3 months now) and I know I've been making progress. I started running at a pace of 12 minutes per mile. Which was where I was at 2 years ago. My 5K time from 2006 was a disappointing 36 minutes, 30-something seconds. (Jared doesn't have anything to prove. He shaved 5 minutes off his time last year when he ran. I walked it because I had stopped training and was pregnant. He's just running it for tradition this year).

However, the last two runs I've done have been record times for me. I ran 4 miles last week at 41 min. 18 seconds. (Not fast for you less-than-9 minutes-per-mile-people, but progress for Jenn). And then I ran 3 miles on Saturday at 30 min. 39 seconds. I even ran that first mile in 10 minutes...my fastest mile yet. Considering all my health issues...broken back history, exercise-induced asthma, open heart surgery, just had my 4th baby and never run this much before...I'm pretty proud of myself. I love those personal victories!

What really motivates me, even more than my improved times, is that Jared is proud of me. If he weren't so supportive and wasn't cheering me on, I would have quit after that first week. In fact, he came home one night a few weeks ago and said he was so proud of me and surprised me with my own hot pink iPod nano, with a gift card for iTunes and a carrying case. It was the sweetest gesture. (Although, now that I think about it, maybe he was just sick of me borrowing his :)

When I began running, my first mile was always the hardest as my body warmed up. But it's changed now. The toughest mile is my second and third depending on how far I'm going. However, in my defense, those 2nd and 3rd miles are also mostly uphill on my routes, so I guess I can cut myself a little slack. I'm also hoping that all those hills will make my 5K run on Saturday a little easier. There is a slight incline that you run but it's nothing compared to the slopes I'm doing now.

It seems like I shouldn't have any problem beating my personal 5K time from 2006. So why do I have butterflies in my stomach??

8 comments:

Allie said...

Good luck with your run. I am hoping to start running too this spring after having baby 3. Let us know how your run goes!

Lindsey said...

Good luck Jenn! You can do it!

Corina said...

I'm sure you'll do great, Jenn! You should be so proud of yourself for all the progress you've made! There's a great book you should read, it's called, "Marathon Mom" by Linda Schreiber. Best of luck...

Rachel said...

You are so awesome! I'm so excited to do another tri next year and improve my time, so I know what you mean. And what an awesome gift from Jared! He is too sweet. Good job, hubby!

Kim-the-girl said...

You are awesome!

Unknown said...

Congrats on the progress you've made. I'm really impressed! I have no excuses and yet I am chronically out of shape.

BUIS LIFE... said...

Open heart surgery! You are amazing. Jared is so sweet to get you an ipod - i love mine. Good luck on your run! I'm sure you'll kick butt.

Becky said...

I got Nate's ipod loaded up. Hey, why did I not ever know that you had open heart surgery, what's the story? How did the run go?