Saturday, February 27, 2010

Where in the WORLD are Elder and Sister Lee?

Last time I posted about this, my parents had to give up the opportunity of serving their next mission in Bangalore, India due to visa issues. And after going through several other possibilities over the Thanksgiving holiday, they were able to choose (yes, choose) to go to the Slovenia-Croatia mission.

My parents entered the MTC the second week of December and then hung out at the Family History Center in SLC, UT waiting for their visas to come through. They were told it would be around the beginning of March.

Shortly after the beginning of the year, my parents found out that there is NOT family history work or a need for such missionaries in the Slovenia-Croatia area as they were initially led to believe.

Because family history work is what my parents had their heart set on....where would they go now??

A quick switcheroo and one more First Presidency approval, and they left February 15th for Edinburgh, Scotland! They will be going through archives of records and taking digital pictures of them for the Church. They work in a long room with 4 other couples. My dad has a camera station and my mom works with a computer to quality check the images once they are taken. The room they are in has no windows so the mission president encourages them to get out on the weekends and see the country. (Tough life!)

Interestingly enough, my parents just up and took a trip to Scotland last May. My cousin actually lives over there and they joined her and her parents and had a wonderful time gallivanting around the beautiful country. This is a real treat for them to be going back. Now that my parents are actually ON their mission, I don't foresee them changing country locations prior to their release in 18 months!

AND...even if we don't have any vacation time, Jared insists that we go visit them. I had totally forgotten that the name "hough" is rumored to have Scottish roots.

2 comments:

JandS Morgan said...

Hough definitely does sound Scottish. Your parents sure are lucky. With how small that country is I bet they could see England even on the weekend.

Aimee said...

Jenn-
We have a good friend that just got his call to the same mission- he leaves after the semester (BYU)- he is our stake president's son and was Aaron's home teaching companion (Isaac Freckleton) Pretty small world in the church!
Thanks for always staying in touch with us.
Aimee