Wednesday, February 24, 2010

He survived!

Phew! Jake is officially done with his participation in Century High School's rendition of "The Music Man".

Back in September, Jake came home on a Tuesday and said he really wanted to try out for the high school musical at Century. He said they were asking for younger children to audition for "The Music Man". Auditions were the next day, but of course he couldn't tell me when, how long, what he needed to do to prepare or anything else about it. He didn't have the handout. So I told him to bring me the information the next day after school and he did. Sure enough, it was just as he said. There were some possible time conflicts, but I told him we'd try and make it happen. I dropped him off, signed him in and made sure it was okay that I didn't stay since I had three other loud and squirmy kids to juggle and that it was in EVERYONE'S best interest if I didn't stay. I was told it would be about an hour for the elementary students to audition. So I waited in the parking lot for him to come out. To this day, I have no idea what the audition entailed. Jake was nonchalant about the whole thing. Said they'd call if he made it.

I had just enough time to drive home, get dinner on the table and welcome Jared home before needing to leave for a missionary discussion that was scheduled for 6pm. That's when I got a phone call from the stage manager telling me Jake made the audition! I couldn't believe it. She told me that about 75 kids tried out and only 19 made it and only 5 of the youngest towns people were boys. We were so proud of him and were excited and a little anxious to find out how this would all go down.

Rehearsals for him started in December. (Fortunately for me, I just had to drop him off two miles down the road and come back and pick him up.) Obviously, rehearsals got longer and later the closer they got to opening night. But it was still doable. (We did take a break from piano lessons for the month of February before it got too crazy.) All told, he had 11 performances in 8 days and he wasn't getting home 'til after 10pm in the evenings. Considering his rigorous schedule and his usual 7:30 bedtime, Jake managed it very well at home and at school. He kept up on his schoolwork and chores and even missed two days of school for two weekday matinees. For his first theatrical debut complete with a 3-word speaking part, singing and choreography, Jake was a great little towns person and despite hating the knickerbockers, enjoyed his chance to rub shoulders with some very talented youth. When people ask Jake if he would be in a musical again, he responds with an emphatic "yes!" And quickly follows that up with this: "as long as I don't have to kiss anyone!" (Just keep thinking that, son!)


Here's Jake in full costume. I wasn't quick enough to get a picture of him in his band uniform at the end. He "played" the clarinet. (Huh...I didn't know they had metal braces in 1912...)



This was opening night, Feb. 11th, when Jared and I saw the show together.

I was so mesmerized by the charm of this musical and how WELL the entire cast did, that I had to see it again before closing night. Considering this was put on by a high school and lots of other younger kids, I was soooo impressed. The costumes were authentic, the set was cool, the singing of the leads was fabulous and entertaining. My only complaint is that it was sometimes hard to hear certain parts, but that's technical equipment issues and not a reflection on the cast or crew.

Jared took Cooper to the first Saturday matinee and to this day, Cooper wanders around the house singing "Seventy-six trombones led the big parade, with a hundred and ten cornets close at hand" and "Shipoopi!" I went the following Thursday with my neighbor and then to the last show on Saturday with another friend who took Jared's ticket since he had to work. The musical was 2 hours in length but clipped right along at a relatively fast pace. I was always surprised when intermission came after the first hour. It was so fun to watch! Kudos to the Century Theater cast and crew and the members of the orchestra pit!

And a HUGE thank you to all the friends who attended the show to support Jake. We appreciate you!

This was Jake on Sunday 2.21 after closing night (with a matinee that afternoon) and a cast party until 11:30pm. We have 9am church so Jared and I told him that if we let him stay for the cast party, he could not fall asleep in church but could take a nap when we got home. He was definitely "Shi-pooped."

5 comments:

Kim-the-girl said...

That is so incredibly cool! Way to go Jake!

runningfan said...

Go Jake!

Purplepickle said...

That is impressive. Glad that he did it! Think it was very smart to miss the piano lessons for the month of February. He looks like he was exhausted! Happy that he had a great time too!

Amy Updike said...

I'm SO impressed that he took initiative to do it & stuck it through! What an incredible experience! My boys went to see the show with Curtis & LOVED every minute of it. They were bouncing up & down, wide eyed & enthralled. How fun!

Grandmagretzky said...

Shi-pooped! I'm going to have to remember that when Brooklyn (Jake's fellow castmate and my granddaughter) starts whining at my house. hehehehe... Jake did a wonderful job. Brooklyn is still singing the songs all over the house.