Tuesday, August 4, 2009

San Diego, Day 6: Going home

Thursday morning, May 28th, Jared went to his last few classes before check-out while I got us all packed up. It didn't take long. And he was back before I knew it.

Jared was actually starting to feel ill. Like a sinus infection or something complete with chills. Thank goodness that set in on our LAST day. Poor guy. There's nothing worse than flying when you feel like poo.

Our flight home was uneventful, thankfully. We arrived shortly before 7pm. My dad and Jake and Cooper were there to pick us up. Cooper had lost another tooth! The boys couldn't stop talking to us :)

When we got home, my mom was dripping from sweat because she was cleaning my house, leaving it nicer than when she found it, of course.

And then there was this.


Calvin would NOT come to me. I couldn't believe it. He never turns down the chance to come to me. But, believe it or not, I did not cry. I was not hurt. I was actually touched that he loved my mom more than me at that point. That he was comfortable enough with her to stay in her embrace. We tried several times over the course of 30 minutes to get him to come to me, but he wouldn't. Eventually he did, but I certainly didn't see that coming.

I'm so grateful for the sacrifice (on many levels) that my parents made so that I could go with Jared on this trip. (I can't forget Dr. Hicken either, who was perfectly fine with me mooching off of the hotel and car expenses that he was paying for).

This trip was the FIRST trip Jared and I have ever taken just the two of us. We've never flown anywhere without any of the kids and for pleasure! And technically, it wasn't ALL fun and games because Jared was in class from 8-3 each day. But we will take what we can get.

We were in San Diego for 6 days. 1 day for every 2 years of marriage. I was actually worried about the length of time. Our friends, who have kids our ages, go on a trip or two a year together without them. When we asked them what their limit was for being away from their kids, they said 3 days. I was thinking 3 days didn't seem like enough and what kind of parent was I for wanting to be away longer?

I determined that 6 days was the PERFECT time away. If we were able to go away once a year for a few days, 3 days might be my limit too. But when you're on the pattern of getting away only once every decade or so...6 days is just fine! I wish all of my married friends with children could do what we did.

4 comments:

Travis and Heather said...

WOW, what a fabulous trip you had. San Diego is my mostest mosteliest favorite place. When we were there two summers ago and saw people boarding the elation was said the same thing....ahhh it's probably over-rated. IT ISN'T. Anyhew, thank you for emailing the link to your blog, it is a reminder for me to keep in touch with our beloved hough's.

Brosita said...

Jenn, wow! how fun, relaxing, romantic! I am so happy you got to do all that.....lots of fun pics to look at too. Congrats on your happy trip!

Sonja said...

What a fun trip. You guys look great!

JandS Morgan said...

Too funny about Calvin. I guess they have really short attention spans that age. I'll admit I would have a really hard time leaving my kids for that long, but you had some great parents to watch them.