Tuesday, August 4, 2009

San Diego, Day 5: Carriers and Cruises

Wednesday, May 27th, was our last full day of sightseeing and playing. As soon as Jared got back we strolled along the boardwalk on our way to our destination: the USS Midway. A retired naval aircraft carrier. (It wasn't here 12 years ago when we were).

On our stroll I saw this boat in the marina. This picture is for my friend Amanda and her baby Millie G.! Pretty sweet, eh Amanda?


And 'thar she blows'! The USS Midway.





This was an audio tour. We each got a headset and could input the number that corresponded to an aircraft or part of the carrier and the man in your ear would tell you about it. Pretty cool that we could pick and choose what we wanted to know. Unfortunately, we didn't have a ton of time before it closed. So we hit the planes first. Those are the most important! Would you expect anything less from an aviator's daughter?

How many of these aircraft can you identify by name? I can't name any of them. But my 9 year old can.

I'm guessing this is the A-4 since I'm standing by it. If so, that's the jet my dad flew.








And Jared's favorite...the F-14 Tomcat.


This is a view of The Fish Market from the carrier which was right next door. We ate on the enclosed "veranda" for dinner the night before.


We were guided by a volunteer through the upper portion of the carrier where all the instruments are. (If it wasn't 2 months after the fact, I'd probably remember what that part of the carrier is called). We also went below deck to see how they "lived." (Very closely...like sardines). It also helps to be short, we discovered.


We were a little pressed for time because we had a dinner cruise of the bay that night. The vessel departed at 6:30 and it was already 5pm. So we hailed a bike taxi and enjoyed not having to walk back. Poor guy. He got a work out. We always felt bad when we had to stop because getting started is always the hard part. We even sat up, keeping our bums glued to our seats, and shot our bodies forward a couple of times to help with the momentum all the while praying no vehicle would hit us.


And this was our cruising vessel "High Spirits."


Each person was given a complimentary glass of champagne. However if you were under-age or don't drink alcohol, they had sparkling apple cider as an alternative. The boat looked smaller than it was. We were in the very back and loved our little secluded area with the unobstructed view out the stern.




We did a double-take when we saw this "vessel" shoot past us.


I forgot to mention the BEST part of this cruise, outside of the ambiance and dining on the San Diego Bay at sunset....we got a 2-for-1 deal! There was a coupon for it on the back of the paper map we were given by the hotel tipster. I saw it when we first arrived but didn't think that was something Jared would be interested in doing. He came back to the hotel room Tuesday afternoon and said he found the perfect thing for our last night and showed me a dinner cruise pamphlet. That's when I showed him the 2-for-1 coupon and we did a high five!



This was a four course meal with love songs piped in through the speakers by our DJ. We had a yummy warm spinach-artichoke dip with crackers. Then a Caesar salad. Next came our steak and chicken dinner with potatoes and steamed veggies. I actually didn't eat a ton of the main course. I kind of lost my appetite. Seasick? Nope. Jake had called right after we were served. He was so excited. He said, "Do you know that plaque that the coaches (baseball) give out at the end of the games?" I said, "yes." Then he said, "I got it tonight!" I was so elated! and disappointed. Jake was MVP of that night's game and I missed it. I'm just glad my mom could be there to share his moment with him. Turns out my dad was at Cooper's game on another field at that same school. Apparently in one inning, when Jake was playing 3rd baseman, he caught a line drive, getting the batter out and then threw the ball from 3rd base to 1st base (the farthest distance) getting the runner who had left 1st base out. Then he caught another line drive, getting all three outs for the inning! We were so proud of him. And thank goodness for cell phones. We were both able to talk to him.

By then the sun was starting to set.




That's the USS Midway on the left lit up with the red and blue lights from Memorial Day.


While out on deck, we went to the stern of the boat and danced to a couple of songs. And that was JARED'S idea :) It was most enjoyable and very romantic.

And pictured here was the best cheesecake I have EVER had. Normally, I could take it or leave it but I could have eaten 6 slices of this. Yumm-O.


This dinner cruise of the bay at sunset was an INCREDIBLE, AMAZING opportunity that we may never get again. It was soooo much fun. So delicious and intimate. A PERFECT ending to a PERFECT trip.

3 comments:

Kim-the-girl said...

Oh my goodness! I am loving living vicariously through you. This trip does sound perfect!

JandS Morgan said...

You are making me absolutely jealous. I wish I had parents like yours. I guess I won't be too old when my kids leave the house.

Amander said...

I absolutely love the Millie G! Thanks for taking that shot! So glad you got to go!