Tuesday, July 28, 2009

HEAT SMACK

*sung to the tune of "Once There Was a Snowman*

Once there was a Jenn Hough, Jenn Hough, Jenn Hough.
Once there was a Jenn Hough--sort of tall.
In the heat she melt-ed, melt-ed, melt-ed.
In the heat she melt-ed...sweat and all.

This ain't no heat wave the Pacific northwest is experiencing...it's a full on SMACK DOWN. We were over 100 degrees yesterday (Mon. 7/27) but I don't know the official number (*update: the news reported the temperature at 103 on Monday*). It was 106 degrees TODAY and currently at 8:43pm, it is 103 degrees outside. UNBELIEVABLE! What's worse....it's a stifling 93 degrees inside our house! Holy schnikey!

You know it's bad when your home reaches 90 degrees before you go to bed at 10:30pm with open windows and then when you wake up at 5:30 in the morning, the inside temperature only dropped to 85 degrees. Yup, that's how we started our day today. Needless to say we spent 3 hours at our subdivision pool this afternoon. We spent 2 hours there yesterday. The last two nights Jared and I have slept on TOP of our bed. (At least I haven't had to make it the past two mornings!) It's humid too. We are just dripping sweat. Karcyn and Calvin have both been sporting heads of hair that are sopping wet. They look like they just got out of the bath. Well, they sure need baths because it's all sweat. Gross. There's nothing clean or pleasant about it.

You know it's hot when you go sit on the toilet to do your business and when you get up, the toilet seat comes with you. Or when you have to reapply your deodorant 10 times in one day because you're offending yourself. (Yes, I am speaking from experience on both accounts).

It's going to be just as hot tomorrow, but hopefully it'll get down in the low 90s and dare we dream of the 80s this weekend?? I'm so grateful this is only a 3 day stretch. It was hot Saturday and Sunday, but not triple digits. And when you're getting higher in temperature, every degree matters. We'll survive, but man...this is down right oppressive!

My sister lives in AZ and I know it gets hotter than this there. BUT...I don't care. I have no sympathy for them or anyone else living in that type of a climate. Why? Because A/C is standard down there. If they need to go somewhere, they get in their car, with A/C. When they go home, they have A/C. Up here, air conditioning is the exception, not the rule. There is no relief for us in oven homes. Aside from fighting over who gets to stand in front of the refrigerator next.

6 comments:

Kim-the-girl said...

Oh man! Jenn, that is awful! I hope it passes quickly...

Terra said...

That's horrible. I can't believe Utah is cooler than the northwest, plus we don't have the humidity. I hope for relief for you soon.

Paul and Shelly said...

That does suck!! AND this is coming from the sister that has been experiencing 120 degree weather in beautiful AZ. I have WONDERFUL central air. I feel bad for you. Maybe you should come down here for some cooler air, lol. Love you and hope that you survive.

Becky said...

I'm so sorry Jenn. Actually I think it is funny as I sit in my a/c house, just kidding. When I was prego with Addie it was 107 I think, miserable. miss you girl

JandS Morgan said...

My sister recently told me that sweating lowers your stress level. Your stress level must be really low right now... Crying secretes the same hormone :)

Kendra Goodrich said...

I'm hating this weather too. I hope it goes away SOON! We haven't really cooked anything in days.