Saturday, June 27, 2009

You Win, Karcyn

Our week of me attempting to potty train Karcyn is now coming to an end and I'm not sure we're any better off than when we started. *sigh*

Monday she had about 4 or 5 accidents, but I expected that. Tuesday was much better, she not only stayed dry but did her business in the potty twice! Wednesday she woke up wet and was not only refusing to sit on the potty, but didn't even want her treat for staying dry every 30-60 minutes. Fine then. I was to the point of tears by that afternoon and after Jared emerged from sick bay later in the day, I told him I needed to "get out" for a little bit. It was enough just to go to Freddy's alone to get my friend a birthday gift.

Thursday morning, Karcyn crawled onto our bed around 6am. I discovered she was dry and still asleep, so I put her back in her bed where the pad was in case she had an accident. I got ready to go to the office for a few hours and when I came out of my room, I noticed she was on Jake's bunk. I cringed, thinking he wouldn't be happy to have to wash his little sister's pee out of his bedding. But Karcyn woke up right then and was very chipper. I got her off the bunk and found her still dry! I asked if she wanted to sit on the potty. She said she did. I gave her 5 M&Ms for being dry all night. As she was eating those, she filled that little potty cup about 1/3 full. Which was even more exciting. I really needed that! And she got 5 more candies.

Jared had some errands to run while I was at the office. He was apprehensive about taking Karcyn along, rightfully so, but she did fine. Of course, once at home, she was back to refusing to sit on the potty. (I don't get her!)

Friday morning, when Jared left early for work, I heard Calvin stirring so I quickly jumped in the shower before the kids got up for good. I came out of the bathroom less than 10 minutes later to find Karcyn in my bed, under the covers. She was soaking. ARGH! After cleaning up and getting dressed and getting Karcyn in some dry undies and a top, I went to gather her wet bedding. Only it wasn't wet! She woke up DRY--AGAIN!! But because I wasn't there to greet her and get her on the potty, it all ended up on my bed. Stupid me. (I'm still kicking myself for that one). Later that morning, I geared myself up for our 2 hours of errands, but amazingly, Karcyn got through all of it, completely dry and mess-free. What a blessing! But she didn't want to sit on the potty at home any more than she'd like to get stung by a bee (which did happen Thursday evening).

I had the fleeting thought at one point this week to make Karcyn clean up her messes. My mom suggested that as well so I just started making her do that. Of course, I'm not sure how effective that's going to be. She thinks cleaning is fun!

People have suggested that I use the book "Toilet Training in a Day." Though I'm grateful for the thoughtfulness, there are a few problems with that idea. #1) It's not available at the library. #2) Even if it were, anybody who knows me knows I'm the slowest reader on the planet. It would take me 2 weeks to read something, I need to know right now. #3) Though people SWEAR by it, I'm not convinced that every child on this planet can toilet train in one day, just like you can't parent your own children the same way. They're all different.

So...Karcyn wins.
I didn't give up.
I just lost.
As of today, Karcyn remains un-potty trained but transitionally so because we can't surrender back to diapers. Which means (*groan*) more work for me. (Yes, I'm lazy.) I am marginally relieved that I finally found a couple of plastic covers for her underwear yesterday at a second-hand store. I can put those on her for extra protection when we go to church or run errands outside the house. Hopefully those will contain the puddles and problems for others until we can tend to her. I just can't believe a child who can control her bladder 10-12 hours through the NIGHT for crying out loud, can't sit on the potty a few times during the day to empty it.

Oh well, this too shall pass. (hee hee hee)

5 comments:

Kim-the-girl said...

We begin this journey with Levi soon... I'm NOT looking forward to it.

Corina said...

Let me know when you get it figured out...I've got a 2 1/2 year-old (Evie) who has been 50% potty trained for 9 months! She's totally capable, just refuses to go when I want her to. Some days she cares, some days she doesn't. I just bought my 5th "last" box of pull-ups. Good luck!

Jen said...

I am so sorry, Jenn. This sounds like the summer you'd rather not have.

I wonder if you ought to just take a break. I think back to the night struggles with Megan, and when we pushed her about being dry, it was tough on her and draining on us. Giving it time, and allowing her to get there on her own proved to be a much more pleasant solution. Obviously, Karcyn is physically capable, but maybe she's not there yet psychologically....

Heather E. said...

Wow!! What a pain in the neck! We just started potty training last Tuesday. Brock on the other hand, is doing great! 5 accidents!!! I waited until he had the desire to do it. I also use plastic pants that have a sewn in liner (like underwear). They are all one piece. The only place I have found them is Babies R Us. Pulls up are too much like diapers. Good luck!

Purplepickle said...

One of my daughters is fighting this battle right now. She will stay dry all night, ask to go potty while they are out and about and never have an accident. They will go home and she will refuse to potty on the toilet. She was better while we were there, but still has accidents for mom when we left. It will come truly it will.