Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Elder Jake Hough, 3.18.19--week 34

SZIIIIIIIAAAAAASZTOOOOOOK AGGGGGGIIIIIEEEEEEESSSS!!!!

"Well I'll be darned. Tatooine."

This last week was crazy with the fact that I was leaving Tatabánya, and heading East to Nyíregyháza (Church of Birch). We took a fast train from Budapest west station and embarked for the city. It was a "LOOOOOOONG journey". 3 HOURS on a fast train. It was awful. "I Hate LOOOOONG journeys. I get sick for a LOOOOONG time" (reference to an animated New Testament movie). But we made it and I literally couldnt believe how big nyiregyhaza was when I got here. It is huge! Tons of buildings, busy roads, a college just 10 minute walk from our apartment, and about the biggest bellvaros (city center) I have seen. But that isnt really saying much haha since tatabánya is not a big city. But we have to take buses because it is faster. Super Crazy. But yeah. So far so good! I felt a little uneasy for the first 2 days, but I just smiled it off and now I feel pretty good about being here. The plus is that I dont have to come to a new area with a new companion and not know hungarian, at least I can speak and get by as a normal person haha! And I have to say that when I got the the apartment, I almost cried. It is soooooo nice! I love it so much, its got a real table, with a real fridge, a real shower and bathroom, and real cooking utensils, and a bedroom with real beds...I gave a prayer of gratitude haha! You dont know what you dont have until you have it, and didnt have it for a long time. Made me really grateful for all those things. 

Whats even funnier, is that I came in and found that the food that was in the apartment was mostly old or moldy, and so we were surviving on 2 week old chili and sandwiches until today when we could shop, and I almost did an intermitent fast yesterday haha! But we made it, despite stomach cramps and water. I bought plenty of food.

The only other thing I would say that was really awesome from this shorter week was that we met with this nigerian bible study group yesterday to talk about the bible and teachings, and so we talked about our words, and the power our words have to build and to destroy. They are really really smart spiritually, and their views are really close to ours, jsut a little skewed, and we had very many opportunities to feel the spirit, and I myself received revelations about myself and about words before the end, and it was a an uplifting experience. We will see where it goes with them! We hope to start teaching them soon, not just throwing in gospel truths when we speak and make comments.

Other than that I am good! Ready to baptize Nyíregyháza! And I cant wait for ward conference next week, district conference the next week in Miskolc, and then General Conference the next...itll be a busy 3 weeks! Love yall!

Hough Elder
Jake told us that his new companion is Proctor Elder from Alberta (Sterling) Canada. He arrived in country with Beck Elder who Jake just finished training so Proctor Elder has been in Nyiregyhaza his whole mission (12 weeks). Jake said he is a "dope guy and we get along great!" It's just the two of them in their city. The southern city of Debrecen has two sets of sisters, both sister training leaders and training. He said the eastern part of Hungary is more flat, more "texaszi" or like Texas. J


He also received an email from the mission president yesterday. President Hettinger said,"The Lord has an interesting assignment for you to do these next few weeks and we are looking forward to your nimbleness and agility in accomplishing the Lord's work!" Very interesting. We are anxious to see what the Lord has in mind for him in the coming days!

No comments: