Saturday, July 28, 2018

February 2018

Jared found his dream boat. I gave my approval for the design and functionality. But not the price. $23,000. We try to follow the financial advice to not buy things we don't need until we can pay for them in full...like our cruise. Jared said he understood but felt it was okay to finance some of the cost if it meant being able to have fun and make memories sooner with the kids. I said, "not at that price." And I'm certainly not trying to be the bad guy. Jared conceded in gratitude that he appreciates how I manage our finances. When I mentioned saving for it and paying for it in full, Jared playfully challenged, "We can pay for braces in full." I opened my mouth to respond and then closed it. He was right. Though they seemed a little more necessary and at a fraction of the cost. So, playing along, I said, "Okay then, Cooper won't get braces." We laughed it off. But at dinner that night, I told Cooper, "By the way, Dad found his dream boat so you won't be getting braces after all." He responded in mock exaggeration. Jared replied, "That is a half-truth and I think they need to hear the whole story." So he related his point about how we don't pay for braces in full and Jake jumped in quickly to agree with him. We bantered back and forth a little bit while Cooper sat there quietly. When there was a pause in the conversation, Cooper stroked his chin thoughtfully, the wheels turning in his head, and in all seriousness said, "Let me sleep on it." We busted up laughing. Mainly at the thought that Cooper felt he was the deciding factor in this hypothetical situation. While we were laughing, Cooper said his choice was a boat.

Sat. 2/3--Karcyn and I signed up for a Fun Run 5K at her intermediate school. I thought it would be "fun" for me and her to do this together. More importantly, I wanted her to have the experience of doing something hard and to learn it's not about winning. It's about staying the course and finishing. HOUGHS CAN DO HARD THINGS!

It's been a long time since I've participated in any kind of "run." So I probably wouldn't be much faster than her. She's jogged a mile around the neighborhood before without stopping, but that's it. The day of the run, we woke up to hard rain and cold temperatures. Man, running in nice weather is not especially pleasant. I certainly didn't want to run in the cold rain. Yuck. I thought I left this Portland weather behind! I prayed we'd get an update that it had been canceled. We did not. Dang. We were committed.

Our BEFORE pics.
We started at 9am. We had to run three laps around both the intermediate and elementary schools to get the distance. The first mile wasn't so bad, but the second was hard. Karcyn did great though. She kept plugging along even when it was apparent she was tired and had never experienced running beyond a mile. I stayed behind her so I could cheer her on, but let's be honest, that was my actual pace. I passed her once when she really slowed down, but got her back up to me again. There were middle school kids and and some adults posted in strategic places around the course to help us know which direction to go and to cheer us on. Even though though these people were complete strangers to me, I found their genuine encouragement very motivating.

As we began our third and final lap, Karcyn and I were some of the last runners on the course. A few minutes into it, there was a girl that came up and said hi to Karcyn. She had already passed us a couple of times, more or less dancing circles around us. She didn't seem too serious about the run--she was having fun. :) I don't know how this girl knew Karcyn, but she ended up staying alongside Karcyn so she wouldn't have to trudge the rest of the way alone.
Running on the grass made the last part of the 5K more strenuous, but I watched as this mystery girl gently persuaded Karcyn to keep up the good work and to not give up. Several times she kindly put her hand on Karcyn's back to encourage her, reassuring her that she's not alone and she's "got this." And then a curious thing happened. Karcyn actually picked up her speed and pulled far ahead of me with her new friend who stayed with Karcyn all the way to the finish line. I know this young lady could have finished the race sooner. She seemed to have boundless energy. It was, of course, touching to my mommy heart to see my daughter as the recipient of such a kind display of charity.  This young girl not only noticed Karcyn, but she made adjustments on her own path so that she could jog with Karcyn and cheer her along the road that was pushing her beyond her limits. It reminded me of the way we need to treat each other and to move in closer to those who are struggling along the way.
Karcyn found the strength and power to pull ahead in the end. This was the distance between us. You can barely see the bright pink pants of the young, nameless cheerleader.
Karcyn was not feeling very good after the race, so we hurried to find a toilet. All that lactic acid was catching up to her, but props to Karcyn--she kept everything in! :)
Here is our AFTER picture!
Calvin having creative fun with his pretzels. 
Sunday, 2/4--Jake and Cooper both representing their young men quorums up front at the beginning of a church meeting.
Monday, 2/5 at 6:50am--Calvin reading the Book of Mormon stories to JJ before they leave for the bus stop.
Calvin's triple-decker marshmallow and pretzel sandwich.

2/6--I started volunteering at the elementary school library. I really enjoy reshelving. I applied to be a substitute teacher, but the orientation for that was always during a time I couldn't be there (usually after school) so I'm not sure when that will happen.

I also volunteer each week in JJ's Kindergarten class. When I showed up one day, she told me a funny story. She called on him to answer a question, "Yes, JJ?" to which he responded, "The name is Jared." :) We had no idea he wanted to be called Jared. He started to write Jared on some of his papers, but for the most part, it's still JJ. 

I just realized I am a mom to students in jazz band, high school choir and orchestra. Can't span the musical arts any better than that!!

2/7--Karcyn came home and said she cheated on her math test. I was stunned. Learning comes pretty naturally to her. I don't know why she'd feel like she needs to cheat. But I was grateful she was so forthright in admitting it. She said she didn't know why she did it. She was using a calculator on her lap. The teacher caught her and was deducting 5 points from her test grade. I told Karcyn she was darn lucky she didn't get a zero on it. This just doesn't sound like Karcyn at all. She has never been affected by her grades. Hopefully it was just a "moment."

2/9--Cooper's second choir concert--The Gospel Concert. (I missed the Christmas one in December). He is in the center, second row from the bottom. They sounded wonderful! They sang songs and said phrases like, "How Great Thou Art," "Amazing Grace," and "God hasn't failed me yet" complete with drums and clapping. Never in Oregon.
Cooper is smiling down at the redheaded boy on the front row.
Looking really snazzy in a tuxedo!
We went out for ice cream as a family after Cooper's concert and our order number was the same as my special age, so I thought I'd embrace it.
2/10--The McCulloughs generously gave us an awesome Christmas gift--time at the new ALTITUDE jump park in town so off we went to have some family fun together and try it out. I'm not sure what Jake was thinking, but it wasn't until we were halfway there when I turned around in the car and noticed he had NO shoes on. ??
Cooper trying out the elasticity of the mat. It's pretty bouncy!
 Jake getting ready to jump up on that orange ledge.
 Cooper trying to join Jake.
 Calvin running from tramp to tramp.
 JJ trying the trapeze bar.
He was SO good at it. Had an awesome grip and didn't drop until he had swung as far out as he could.
 He inspired me to try it!
 But I chickened out!!
 Ahh, the battle of the brothers on the balance beam. Who will win?
 I believe Cooper was the last man standing.
 Now the "Second Sons" are battling.
 Again--Cooper is the last man standing (before falling).
 The hardest part is just getting out of the foam pit!
 Right, Jared? :)
Jake just hanging out on the rock wall.

Now it's Cooper versus JJ. 
 I don't think JJ even saw it coming. But he's all smiles!
 Calvin versus Karcyn. Not sure that's a fair fight.
 Well, I'll be!! Look at that!!! Way to go, Karcyn!!
 Calvin wanted another opponent so Jake took him up on his offer.
 And Calvin decided to take off!! "Forget that!"
 Battle of the Brothers--rematch.
 Wanna piece of me?
 Cooper did it again! (He is a solid kid--a small ox. Doesn't even know his own strength.)
 And Jake--ever the good sport!!
JJ back on the trapeze bar. We had a hard time pulling him away. He LOVED it!! He has impressive upper body strength.
 Where's JJ?
 There he is!!
 And he's gone again.
 Jake giving the bar a try.
 He's strong too and did great!
I finally got up enough nerve to try it.
Unfortunately, my heavy body and lack of hand/arm strength and this thing called gravity all worked against me. I basically fell into the pit.
Face first. 

Then it was time for some action at the dodge ball arena. Jared is telling JJ to get out of the way. He's going after Cooper!
JJ seeking protection behind Jared. 
 They had a blast. And wore themselves out!! This is Jared splayed on the ledge.
 I think Jared said he was concerned he hurt something--like maybe his heart. :)
 JJ kept going, though!
 Cooper needed a break, too!
 Can you find JJ?
 Cooper trying his hand at swinging.
 And struggling to get out of the foam. The biggest workout of all!
 Go Calvin!
 Calvin at the hoops!
 Mom versus the reigning beam champ. Who will win?
 Yeah!!!!
 Mom versus Calvin.
 I think he won. :)
 Karcyn on the climbing wall.
 JJ on the wall. He's a monkey.
 Karcyn and Calvin on the beam--the rematch.
 She should have left well enough alone! Calvin got her that time!
I LOVED the rock wall on our cruise and want to do something like this on a regular basis. It's a little harder on your feet when you do it in socks, however, than with shoes.
 Jake decided to join me.
 But apparently I wasn't moving fast enough for him. So he decided to go around me.
 Show off.
We had A BLAST!!! I swear that was more exercise in two hours than we had in the two months prior to that afternoon!

Jared was tired when he woke up the next morning (haha!). As he was making his hot chocolate, he added the cinnamon like he usually does, but he told me that something seemed and smelled amiss. After retracing his steps, he realized he added cumin not cinnamon!

This is a picture of the kids watching the Altitude videos we captured after church the next day.
Jake playing around with JJ before going to a church meeting.
Mon. 2/12-- Karcyn brought home a packet of papers. She had been nominated for Gifted and Talented by her teachers at school. I was actually really surprised. She gets great grades, but she's going into 7th grade...when it's a lot harder to qualify for Gifted and Talented. I guess I don't see her everyday compared to her peers. This is her first nomination and I was proud of her for standing out that way in school. I don't expect her to make it (none of my kids have) but it was enlightening to see her from the perspective of her teachers. 

Tues. 2/13--This was Jared's last day working at the express care in Brenham. He was being moved up to Bryan. Finally!!! No more nasty commute. Jared is NOT, I repeat, NOT a hugger of people outside our family, but the girls at the office completely ambushed him. Haha!!

Wed. 2/14--This is the inside of my washing machine drum. This is what happens when you wash a book that was in a certain child's laundry basket and they just dumped the contents of the basket in to the washer without checking. 
Since this was going to be Karcyn's last Valentine's Day with all four of her brothers here for a couple years, we decided to do something special for her. We secretly asked them to write "love notes" to her and we were going to get her a gift and deliver these things to her at her school to surprise her and take her out for a treat.

JJ's note to her (transcribed by Jake). But JJ drew, colored and labeled the picture himself.
Cooper's note. 
Calvin's reluctant note.
Jake's note.
The little boys and I found this HUGE super soft, stuffed Koala bear at Aldi (for $12) and they wanted to get it for Karcyn (who loves animals). We pulled all the boys out of their schools early on Valentine's Day and went to Karcyn's school to check her out for the day and waited for her in the front office to surprise her.
The office staff were really touched by our gesture.
We were supposed to shout, "Surprise!" as soon as Karcyn entered the office, but somehow that fell really flat! Not sure what happened. I was really bummed actually.
But she was superexcited!! And had no idea of our plans!
Notice the stuffed dog with hearts all over it in her other arm? There is a boy named Matthew who gave that to her and asked her to be his Valentine. (!!!) That is a "build a bear" stuffed animal--high quality and very soft, too. It was very sweet of him to get her a gift. To show her gratitude, we made sure she wrote Matthew a thank you note thanking him for the dog (that she named Heart Spot) and to specifically tell him that she's "glad they're friends."
Walking to Nothing Bundt Cake to get a Gluten Free Chocolate Chip cake for Sis.
This was what I found when I went to tuck Karcyn in later that night. ;)
JJ's adorable Valentine's gift to us from school.
Thurs. 2/15--Cooper "licensed to drive" with his permit. Oi.
Karcyn auditioned for the school musical "Peter Pan, Jr." mostly for experience. There was only 1 Wendy and many kids tried out. She's great at memorization and can definitely project her voice. She didn't make it, but good for her for trying!! My kids have more guts than I did at their age.

Later that night, Jake had his mission interview with President Sharp. Turns out he was missing my signature, so I drove back to the church (just having returned home from my own temple recommend renewal interview) so I could sign it. Which felt very similar to when Jake tried to get his Eagle paperwork approved, but was deficient a signature. I waited while he was in his interview for 90+ minutes. When he and President Sharp came out, Pres. Sharp said Jake was born to be a missionary and what he (Pres.) loves most is that Jake wants to go on a mission for all the right reasons. Our former 1st counselor in the bishopric (Bro. Hickson) was talking with us, too, and he said he thinks that Jake will serve in a branch somewhere since he can play the piano and lead with the priesthood. "He's got all the right skills." The button pushing date to submit Jake's papers is 2/21! Jake and I walked out of the church building together and I took the time to ask him why he wanted to serve a mission. Jake said it's because HE knows that it's right--to the very core of his soul and wants to share that with others and help them make the connection--because it will be familiar to those who are prepared because their spirits are recognizing truth. Right at that moment Jake spotted a shooting star behind me. And he made a wish. :) I caught the last two seconds of it. 

Fri. 2/16--Jared flew to Arizona the third weekend in February. His sister's youngest daughter Karyana was getting baptized. But her dad couldn't do it and Grandpa Hough isn't with us anymore. So Jared stepped into that role. It was his honor of course. It was a doubly good weekend, because Jared just happened to ordain Nicole's oldest son, Daniel, to the priesthood on Sunday as well. 
Mon. 2/19--Our A/C kicked on upstairs at 6pm because it was 79 degrees!

Tues. 2/20--Calvin got to enjoy an evening with reptiles at scouts!!
Wed. 2/21--It was freezing cold at 34 degrees and there were thunderstorms as the cold front blew in. Texas weather can be unpredictable in the fall and winter. But you can count on blazing heat in the spring and summer!

Jared was gone from Wed. 21st to Sat. evening of the 24th in February as well when he went on a fishing trip in Del Rio, Texas. At his dad's funeral, Jared connected with an old family friend, Josh, and they made future plans to get together. Josh flew in to San Antonio, Jared picked him up and they drove to Del Rio where they would be fishing on Lake Amistad (a large reservoir) right on the Texas/Mexico border. Unfortunately, the weather didn't exactly cooperate.
 But that didn't keep them from fishing or catching large mouth bass.
 Jared reports that the guide actually hooked this one and let Jared reel it in! :)
They fished for three full days and stayed in a trailer on a military base for two days because Josh is ex-military and a hotel the third night.
 The weather warmed up just a bit near the end.
Meanwhile, back in College Station, I got a call from JJ's teacher that Friday afternoon. She said that JJ had thrown up at school. The nurse couldn't reach me with the school phone so Mrs. Neidig tried calling on her cell. Apparently, JJ felt it coming on and made it to the garbage can. (As a former teacher, I'm so grateful my own child could do his teacher a favor by making it to the garbage can before getting sick!) He was out cold, sleeping, on the cot in the nurse's office when I got there to pick him up. I took an empty ice cream bucket with me just in case. It had been about twenty or thirty minutes since he had gotten sick (around noon) and it was only about a five minute drive home. As we entered the neighborhood, though, he threw up again. I'm so grateful I grabbed the bucket! I gave him some zofran and had him lay down on my bed so I could keep an eye on him. As is the routine, I starved the virus of all liquids and food, but this poor kid threw up once every hour or so for eight hours. Zofran didn't touch it. He started feeling marginally better that night so we (he) watched a lot of cartoons between 9-11pm. I dozed off and on with an uneasy, heightened sense of my own stomach and wondered about every little gurgle and movement I felt. I didn't eat anything myself since picking up JJ...just to be on the safe side.  
Around 12:30am as I was lightly snoozing, Calvin came down to talk to me. He said he threw up. He tried to make it to the bathroom but it came too fast. (He was pretty close but landed on the carpet not the tile). I gave him a bucket, some Zofran and had him lay down on his bed since Jared's side of the bed was already being used by the other Jared and once I had him tucked in and settled, I told him to come get me if he needed me.

A few hours later at 3:30am, Jake wandered into my room. I startled awake and asked, "Are you okay??" He said, "Yeah, I'm fine, but Cooper's puking his guts out." Lovely. So upstairs I went on this never-ending day and night. Fortunately, he had one of my bowls by his bed for who knows what reason, but at this point, I was super grateful he hadn't cleaned up the growing pile of stuff by his bed. His vomit was brown though. Which made me a little concerned. I would have to ask Jared about that when he contacted me. I cleaned out Cooper's bowl, got him zofran and told him to just rest. No eating, no drinking. I checked in on Calvin while I was up there. He said he had thrown up three more times. And it fit the pattern--about once an hour.

This was Cooper later on Saturday when he decided to join the living. Each of these boys threw up every hour for eight hours. We have never had such a volatile bug that hit us that close together. I wasn't convinced the rest of us were spared. I just waited. And kept my own stomach empty. I did tell Cooper I was worried about the color of his vomit. We hadn't eaten anything that color and I worried about dried blood or something worse. After a few moments, Cooper said he probably knew why it was that color. He decided to pour some of the Hershey's chocolate syrup into his mouth and drink it earlier that night. Yup. That would explain it!
Jared got home late Saturday night, thankfully! Though, since he was gone, I could have my own little nurse's room, so that was handy. I was supposed to visit the Brenham branch as the 2nd Counselor in the Stake Relief Society on Sunday, 2/25. Karcyn was starting to feel puny, so all the kids, except Jake stayed home. Jake and Jared went to our ward (though Jared went home after Sacrament meeting) and I went to Brenham. Karcyn complained of cramps in her gut. The location of her pain indicated it wasn't her stomach. She was almost 12 years old and Jared wondered if perhaps she was getting menstrual cramps. Those weren't completely out of the question, but considering our wonderful weekend, I highly doubted it. Before he went to church, Jared gave her some motrin and a heating pad. When he got home she said she was feeling a lot better. Maybe they were cramps. 
But at dinner, she wouldn't eat. And she looked kind of pale. We told her to go lay down so she did. We went up to check on her. She was on the floor reading a book when we found her, said she couldn't sleep because she hurt too much. Jared had her get on the bed so he could examine her. He pressed on her abdomen in several places. The one spot that was extremely sensitive was the lower right side--the same area as your appendix. And it wasn't so much when he pressed down. It was when he let up that it was painful for her. "Rebound pain." She didn't have a fever, but that wasn't a deal breaker. If it was her appendix, we really needed to know that. So I got ready to take her to the ER that night. I packed a bag for me with some overnight things and materials to read and work on. I put a few things in there for Karcyn. She got her shoes on. We said a family prayer. And she and I started walking toward the front door. I just happened to turn around and her face was sheet white. Without even thinking I asked, "Are you going to be sick?" She said yes. I quickly pushed her towards the half bathroom toilet just in front of me and she had barely gotten the lid up when she threw up and filled that toilet bowl. Eck. Well, the good news was--we wouldn't need to go to the ER! And amazingly enough, Karcyn just threw up the one time. Thank goodness for small miracles. That is the nastiest bug our family has ever had. It hit hard, but was over fairly quick. I'm glad it didn't drag out over two to three weeks. Jared, Jake and I never got it. 

Tues. 2/27--Blue and Gold Cub Scout Pack meeting and cake decorating. This design was all Calvin's idea for the "space" theme. I thought it was very creative. 
Sadly, I was so concerned about getting everything ready for the Blue and Gold (and being there alone with the kids) that I COMPLETELY spaced that it was Karcyn's last day with the Activity Day Girls. *sigh*

Wed. 2/28--Cooper performed in a quintet at the Solo/Ensemble competition in Bryan. They earned a 1 rating and are going to State!!! He was asked to participate in a group with four other students...two juniors and two seniors. He was the only freshman and only tenor! They were asked to come to the competition in their Sunday best. Cooper was in his suit and tie. One of the other young men saw Cooper. He was wearing some dockers, loafers and a hooded shirt. He jokingly smirked and said, "Thanks a lot for showing all of us up, Cooper." Then he opened his hands up in Cooper's direction and acknowledged, "Mormon Sunday dress" then pointed to himself saying, "Baptist Sunday dress." Haha! We all got a kick out of that.

New Beginnings in Young Women. All the incoming Beehives (12 year olds) were invited to attend. (Karcyn's birthday was just two weeks away). Three of the four girls were originally from the CS3 ward before we were realigned into the CS1 ward.

Just a great reminder!!

No comments: