Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Happy 9th Birthday, Karcyn!

I was certain I was "doomed" to have all boys. Jared's mom had cursed him (and subsequently his future wife) many years ago that he would have SIX children just like him some day. (I really wish mothers would consider their future daughters or sons-in-law before wishing such vengeful circumstances on their own children :)

For some reason, I had always pictured myself with more boys than girls anyway. So it was no big shocker when my first two babies were boys. But, in October 2005, when the ultrasound tech told me that the gender of my third baby was a girl, I didn't believe her. I think I even said, "Shut up" in disbelief. I made her prove it to me. She said she was 95% certain I was having a girl, although these techs can "never guarantee" a gender. I was almost afraid to believe it myself.

When Jared and I first found out we were expecting baby #3, I started thinking of girls names right away and began toying with our moms' names. IF this baby just happened to be a girl, she might just be our token girl. So I wanted us to honor our moms the first chance we were given, especially if it were the only chance!

It wasn't long before I took the first three letters of our moms' names and put them together.

Jared's mom's name is KAROLE. And even though she goes by Cindy, my mom's given name is CYNTHIA. And that's how the name KARCYN came to be. It was definitely inspired. Especially since she really is the token female we were blessed with.

Karcyn has been a ray of sunshine since she joined our family. Always so happy. Always so excited to see you and delights over the little things in life. She is truly joyful and affectionate. People have always told me how Karcyn makes them feel like a million bucks or that she is so good for their self-esteem because she's so genuine and kind and gives the best compliments.

She loves to read. She couldn't really talk until she was almost four. I worried about her ability to read because of it, but right after she started Kindergarten a year later, she would just look at a word and sound it out in her head, I guess, because the only thing that ever came out was the word pronounced correctly! She never let me help her and didn't need my help anyway. She has the cutest voice and it made listening so fun, especially because she naturally added expression as she read.

Karcyn's always been good at doing puzzles, starting around two years old and has since branched off into Legos now.

As soon as she could write, she's been composing her own stories and chapter books. Additionally, she also illustrates her books and is a much better doodler and artist than Jared and I could ever dream of being.

She loves animals and especially enjoys "Wild Kratts" on PBS. She says she wants to be a vet some day.

Karcyn loves to sing and has no inhibitions about it whatsoever. When she sings, she sings with her heart and has touched many people by it. She's outgoing--will strike up a conversation with anyone who looks at her. At the same time, she doesn't have much of a filter either. Usually, the things she says are meaningful and funny, buuuttt, there are some times when I cringe, too. We're working on that ;) Karcyn loves to tell jokes, but we've had to forbid her from making them up because she just hasn't figured out the art of the punch line yet!

She's also a great big sister with a heart of gold. JJ loves her so much and is eager to see her when she comes home from school. He calls her T-Reh (T-Rex) because she plays and pretends dinosaurs with him. We keep trying to tell him her name is Karcyn but he just says, "No, das T-Reh!" To make it official, JJ got Karcyn a stuffed T-Rex named "Rex" from Toy Story for her birthday.

Karcyn continues to be an awesome speller. She got 2 As and 2 Bs on her recent report card and her reading level is one of the highest in the two 3rd grade classes she attends--in the range of a 5th grader halfway through the school year.

Her favorite color is orange. She hates having her hair brushed and is not a girly girl (is it any wonder with four brothers??) She isn't bothered by wearing mismatched clothes or messy hair but doesn't mind dressing up every once in a while--usually for church on Sundays. Fortunately, she doesn't fight us on hygiene :) She loves HOT baths although resists showers. She is the BEST vegetable eater in our family and is so obsessed with rice that we have to cut her off after 3 servings. She has her head in the clouds more often than not and is increasing in her blond tendencies as she gets older :) Sometimes she is clueless--which has both pros and cons :)

She does her own laundry, cleans her own bathroom and can't wait to learn how to cook more meals over the summer.

Karcyn has always been petite. I love that about her! Small but spunky!

I'm grateful Karcyn is a part of our family, so I'm not the lone female in the sea of testosterone that is the Hough household! It'll be fun to see how the family/sibling dynamics develop and grow over the years as the children get older. Karcyn is definitely in a unique situation. She is unique :) We love our Special K!


Friday, March 10, 2006--Karcyn made her debut! She was a day late, but she came fast (no meds for Mommy!) over the doctor's lunch hour, and was (and remains) my smallest baby at 6 lbs, 8 oz. so I forgave her :)

I LOVE this picture of Karcyn and Jared. It's titled "Daddy's Little Girl." Karcyn--4 months.

Me and Karcyn at the top of Mt. Howard at Wallowa Lake (one of the BEST camping spots!) in northeastern Oregon, August 2007. Karcyn--17 months

This picture cracks me up! She's all 'ret to go on the 4-wheeler. This was actually her second trip up to Alaska in August 2008. 2 years old.

Yeah, that shirt about sums it up with her--except being up all night. All of our kids are good sleepers. But she couldn't talk so she almost always screamed instead. I'm still amazed my hearing is intact. 3 years old. 

Love my girl. Loved my front yard tulips. April 2009. 3 years old.

Exploring Mt. St. Helens. August 2010. 4 years old. 

Celebrating her 5th birthday by licking the cake spatula! March 2011.

Karcyn pretending to be "Captain Garbage!" Silly girl--always being creative and making things fun. 6 years old.

The beginning of her creative dance days. September 2012. 6 years old.

Princess Karcyn--recognized at her dance class. She was so excited to get a sash with her name on it because then she could be like her older brother Jake--who she saw wearing a (scout) sash with merit badges on it! 7 years old.

Chilling out on a warm Texas summer evening with Bahama Bucks. 8 years old.

We love you Sissy Roo! Can't wait to see you blossom into a beautiful young woman!

2 comments:

Kim-the-girl said...

She sounds like a dream come true. My Eliza had me completely baffled with how girly she is...5 brothers or not, she is girl through and through.

jjcrew said...

Kim--we met with a pediatric GI the other day and he wondered if Karcyn was girly girl or not. He says those lone girls usually go one extreme or the other :) Looks like we each got one extreme and who knows...she's still young. Karcyn may end up a diva. I'm not girly though so I kind of hope not! It would definitely be WAY out of my comfort and familiar zone.