Thursday, January 9, 2014

Savers!

Today was dance day for Karcyn--held at her teacher's house.

The drop off routine for us parents is to follow the curve of the cul-de-sac and when we pull up in front of the house, wait until another teacher can personally unload each dancer.

We arrived a couple minutes early this afternoon so we were the second car sitting in front of Ms. Heidi's house. It has been cold and windy with icky misty rain whipping all around. As we sat there talking, I happened to look over and saw Heidi's little dog on the front porch. The dog, raring to go, was on a leash that was stretched taut, and the person holding the leash was still inside the house, with the front door slightly cracked.

I looked away for a second and some movement out of the corner of my eye made me look back again. There was Heidi's cute little blonde-haired boy standing on the wet front step, in his socks, holding the end of the dog leash in his hand--with no leash or dog attached to the other end and a very distraught look on his face. He looked close to tears. I could tell he was torn, too, like he didn't know what to do or where to go first as if he were thinking: Get the dog or get my shoes? My heart went out to him and I jumped out of the burb. By the time I got around to the sidewalk, the little boy was gone. But it was okay, I didn't need him for what I was doing. I spotted the little terrier in the neighbor's yard and took slow, calculated steps as I approached the canine with a smile and tried to entice her to come to me without a game of chase first.

She fell for it.

I scooped her up and met the little boy back on the porch, this time with his shoes on. :)

Once he had her, I jogged back to the warmth and dryness of the car.

Before I had even shut the door behind me, Karcyn, who had been watching the quick exchange from her car seat in the back, gushed, "Mom!! You're a dog saver!"

I laughed at her description. "I am?"

"Yes! You saved that little boy's dog."

"I just wanted to help him get her back quickly. That's what we call service."

"Mom--you're JUST like Thomas S. Monson. When he was a teenager, he saved a young girl from drowning in the Provo River."

She is apparently listening to her teachers and leaders in church, which is good to know. I was both touched and amused at her comparison between me and the prophet of God.

"It's so sweet of you to think I'm anything close to the prophet, Karcyn. Thank you."

"That's because you're BOTH savers!"

Just further proof of Karcyn's thoughtful and altruistic nature.

1 comment:

happyhart said...

Thanks for another touching story from your experiences in the realm of daughter saving. I'm enjoying time with my two ear old but excited to see what life will be like when she gets older.