Thursday, May 9, 2013

Birthday Boy

This is our Calvin and Hobbes. Calvin turned the big High-5 last week. I just can't believe it's been 5 years already.



Calvin is what we like to call a "perfect storm" between his charm, intellect and mischievous ways. I worry for the school more with him than I did with Cooper and that's just downright scary! :)

Just the other day we had a speech therapist and physical therapist here at our home to work with JJ. Calvin joined in on the meeting and was demonstrating for the ladies his new sign language knowledge that we're all learning so we can teach JJ. The therapists were both impressed with Calvin's natural use of the sign language.

At one point in the meeting, Calvin grabbed a toy from JJ and made him cry. Calvin signed and said he was sorry. A few minutes later I was asking if there was a sign for "you're welcome." They weren't sure there was. Then Calvin piped up, "What's the sign for repentance?" That cracked them up! They admitted to Calvin they didn't know that particular sign and one of the therapists told me, "Oh, Jenn! He must keep you on your toes!"

You have no idea.

A few weeks ago, when someone needed to use the bathroom, we found the door was locked from the inside. And then I heard a drip, drip sound. Once Cooper picked the door lock, we discovered the bathroom was flooding...the faucet was left on and the sink stopper had been pulled into place. Water was pouring down over the counter into drawers and onto the floor which already had a good inch of water on it and it was creeping toward the door and carpet. Believe it or not, that was one of those days where this incident was NOT the reason I wanted to toss Calvin out the window. The flooded bathroom was the least of my worries that day.

He keeps us constantly rolling our eyes at the things he comes up with, too. Jared told me on Tuesday night, while Jake and I were running, that Calvin declared he was NOT going to bed. When Jared said he WAS, Calvin said, "No, Dad, wait," putting his hands up in front of him to get Jared's immediate attention. "I have to tell you something first and THEEENNNN I'll go to bed." Jared relented and said, "Okay Calvin, tell me." Calvin proposed the following, "I'm going to wait for Mom to get home, THEN I'll go to bed," as if he gave Jared an offer he could not refuse. Jared just looked at him. Nice try, Buddy.

I think we're in for it....

This year, Calvin got the ultimate birthday...he spent the day at the zoo with his preschool friends. He had so much fun. It was a glorious day to be outside.

We video taped the birthday celebration right after dinner before Cooper, Jake and Jared went their separate ways for cub scouts, young men and Bishopric stuff. I managed to get a couple of  pictures of him with his cake when they all got back. We have "puh-smash-eee-oh" (pistachio) marble cake for birthdays. It's soooooo yummy. Never lasts more than 24 hours.

That red candle was giving him fits. I think he might have even spit on the cake a little bit in his attempt to blow it out :)


You are so silly, Calvin!


I also got pictures of the birthday boy with his most beloved gift of all--


Apple Jacks! From the McCullough clan!
 

 

He couldn't stop staring at them. He told me he was studying the box, trying to figure out how they were made.
 


 
 
 
 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love Calvin! He is the sweetest little boy ever! And I even love his mischievousness ;)

happyhart said...

sounds like a delicious cake. I'll have to try making one