Friday, September 14, 2012

The evolution of JJ

Don't everyone faint from shock. It's true. I'm attempting a re-entry into the blogosphere. In my defense however, the reason I started the blog 5 years ago was to update my parents who were overseas serving a mission as well as the rest of my family who continue to be scattered to and fro throughout the country. Since my parents have returned to the states, the urgency of communicating with them through the blog has, of course, lessened. I won't lie. Having my 5th child had a little something to do with it too!

Because the last year has been an amazing one for us, I'm not going to be satisfied by moving forward from where we are. I've decided to highlight parts of it by implementing "Flashback Friday" as I attempt to continue blogging from where we are now.

The first topic that deserves attention is our baby JJ (who, sadly, is not a baby anymore!). He is 13 months (and 3 days) old today. He has been such a delight and joy to all of us. This past year has gone by WAY too fast.

In addition to a "Welcome Home, Mom" message drawn on the driveway, this one is my favorite. I don't think Jake realized the irony of it, but I loved crossing the symbolic finish line after coming home from the hospital with JJ.


A week after giving birth, Jared, Karcyn, Calvin, JJ and I piled into the suburban and drove (yes, drove) to Utah. Our first stop was St. George. My mom had come up to help out with JJ's birth and when she flew back home, she took Jake and Cooper with her so they could hang out for a week before we joined them.

Talk about a small world...Kellie, my best friend from high school (in Anchorage, Alaska!) bought a house down the street from my parents without knowing they lived there also. I thought it was super considerate of them to arrange that for my benefit :) Kellie took these pictures of JJ when he was 10 days old while we were visiting. You can see more of her pictures on her blog at http://kelliemillerphotos.blogspot.com/

We've joked that I gave birth to Legolas from the Hobbit. He has one ear that is more pointy than the other and you gotta admit--he does look "elfish".


This is a now outdated family picture of us taken on August 28, 2011, on the day that JJ was blessed as Jared William Hough, by his dad Jared, in Lehi, UT (the second leg of our UT trip).

Calvin especially loved to help feed JJ and take care of him. With Karcyn in Kindergarten, Calvin was a big helper. True to form, we were supplementing with formula when JJ was about 5 weeks old.


JJ is a mommy's dream. Like his siblings, he was sleeping through the night around 6 weeks. He's so happy and loves being held! Fortunately, there are many people to hold him at home and at church. Here he is at 2 months old in my favorite outfit :)

Here he is at 4 months old for our Christmas Bo-Ho-Ho-ling activity with Grandma Lee. He started crawling right before he turned 5 months old and 8 months later has perfected the sport!


True to Hough form, we skipped a couple months without taking any pictures of our baby. (What the heck were we doing the first two months of 2012?) Here's JJ at 6 1/2 months old, eating, or rather, wearing his first solids. His first two teeth made their appearance at the beginning of February (we noticed it during the Super Bowl and I was crushed). I think this was about the time he stopped looking like a baby.

Jared, in his husband-awesomeness, took the 4 older kids and drove to Utah the last 5 days of Spring Break (and for General Conference) to give me a little break and some time with the little guy. Wow! That was a mommy dream! At 7 1/2 months old, JJ was helping me rearrange the kitchen. He had 3 more teeth.

The end of April we were headed out for a walk around the neighborhood one sunny Sunday afternoon. Actually, I think that was my birthday. At 8 1/2 months, JJ had 2 more teeth. And boy did he love to BITE and chew.

JJ often screeches. In order to be heard above the rest of our crew, I'm sure. I keep telling him that it's rough being the 5th child. (May, 9 1/2 months)


Remember the jingle from the 80s advertising a doll for boys? "My buddy (my buddy), my buddy (my buddy). My buddy and me!" (I hope the creator of that jingle was compensated well seeing as how I can still sing it 25 years later). That's the theme song for Jake and JJ. They are buddies to be sure. Most the pictures I have of JJ are actually WITH Jake. The engine and the caboose light up when they're around each other. Jake totally has the touch too. He can get JJ to sleep in church when I can't. He's very patient and kind with him. I'm so grateful for the love Jake shows his baby brother and look forward to the way their relationship will blossom as they get older. (June 2012, 10 months)

The beginning of June we took the kids out of school the last few days and drove (yes, drove again!) down to St. George, UT. This was JJ's second trip in 10 months. But he got to enjoy Grandma and Grandpa's pool this time.

He absolutely LOVES the water. I was excited to get him home into our subdivision pool. That kid is a fish. Even before we deliberately took him underwater (and after), he was putting his whole face in the water himself, complete with the dolphin kick and no crying at all. Maybe we'll put him in swimming lessons next summer :)

Did you know that the cup holders in camp chairs are a great snack holder for toddlers? JJ loved reaching for his Cheerios by himself. This was our family camping trip the middle of August at Lost Lake with my parents.

JJ's birthday was the Saturday that Jared and Jake returned from Scout Camp and my parents had taken Cooper on a trip down the Oregon Coast in their camper and weren't returning until early the next week right before this trip. So....that meant JJ got to celebrate his 1st birthday at campsite A4 up near Mt. Hood. Fortunately JJ didn't care. He loved opening his gifts, loved being on Grandma's lap and LOVED his cake.

JJ was a super cuddly baby and will still cuddle when he's tired and not attempting to scale you like a rock wall--and if you have a tie on, all the better for him! Here he is with Jake. JJ is our "Klingon" because he likes to hold on tight.


JJ you are such a sweet, happy baby. Thank you for making us smile!

2 comments:

JandS Morgan said...

I still sing that song all the time. That and "kid sister". Funny. Welcome back to the blogosphere!

Kim-the-girl said...

Yes, welcome back! JJ is adorable! I have to say, JJ and Jake look so much alike! And Cooper and Calvin. Its uncanny. And how ironic that they have the same initials. :)