Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Good-bye Green

It's been 5 months to the day since I last posted. I had the mistaken idea that I'd have PLENTY 'O TIME during the summer to manage and keep this up-to-date. Silly, silly me.

But...for those who are interested, we finally said good-bye to the green in our living room. It had to go. I didn't like it the second I saw it, 2 years ago. But Jared did. And to his credit, the green looked better than what was on the wall already, as it clashed with the beige in our dining room above the red.




But I couldn't stomach the thought of painting this room again (even though we hired someone to do it the first time) nor could I figure out what color to paint that would go with the two colors in our dining room as well as the denim blue in our kitchen and family room. It was when I was at a friend's house that I noticed her brown color (toffee to be more specific) and it hit me like a truck. Brown would work!

Once we found a young man in our ward who we could hire (yes, we believe in outsourcing our jobs as much as possible--gotta boost that economy somehow and help these young men/women save for scouting activities, missions and college :), we made plans for him to do it this past Saturday. Of course it wasn't just the living room, but our entry walls as well.

Unfortunately there weren't enough hours in the day on Saturday to get it all done, but David came back and finished the job and touching up yesterday.

Wah-lah!!




There's no doubt that the "melted chocolate" brown is MUCH better than the green. However, in the light, it casts more of an orange undertone that I wasn't expecting. It looked much darker to me when we put some test paint up, which is what I wanted. I don't know how you can truly know if you'll like the color or how it will be until it goes up on all the walls anyway. But...it'll work. (And here's my plug for getting the paint with primer already in it. It was worth every penny and went on the walls so well.)

Of course our furniture still doesn't look great with the new wall color and our bookshelves and most picture frames clash now, but we'll replace those things...eventually.

AND...if you're looking for a hard working young man, David Waters is your guy. He's in our ward (Farmington). We hired him to dig up stumps a year ago and he did great out there. This was the first time he's worked inside for us and we were very pleased. If you need his number/rate, let me know.

Thanks David!

4 comments:

Karen said...

Wow, I think it looks great!

Kim-the-girl said...

It does look great! I have a melted chocolate color in my bedroom. I love it. Yum!

JandS Morgan said...

Very nice. I'm a huge fan of that color. Someday we'll all have houses with furniture, walls and flooring that actually go together.

Lindsey said...

The color looks great. I don't think it clashes w/ the other brown stuff. Browns and blacks go together great nowadays and it doesn't have to be all matchy matchy. But you do a great job of making your house a home....I could use some help in that way. :)